Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

MOTIVATION

In my short experience as an instructor i have noticd many factors why students drop out. lack of motivation and interest are the top two.
If we can only make classes interactive and more interesting they would go just to keep the light on

I've found that it helps to apply the information to real life situations and examples. The students actually participate in class discussions if they feel like it's relevant.

I have found that making the class more interactive (i.e. hands on tasks and real life scenario projects) has motivated the students, therefore increasing retention.

Jerry, I would agree with that, as research is increasingly showing that peer-to-peer learning is probably the most effective. Interactive classes increase this type of learning, making it more student-centered, and changing my role more into that of a facilitator or coach.

TRUE- we live in video-interactive times - need more tactile!

I try to make things personally applicable to the students. For instance if I'm teaching respiratory I have the students present a topic about a respiratory condition that they are personally interested in learning more about. This ensures more interest and better research.

Going back to when I was in nursing school, when I had a Instructor who presented the course very motivated, I felt more secure and motivated about the course.

Hi Bessie,
What are some strategies you use to get students excited about your course content?
Gary

I am new to teaching and I find myself looking back at the classes I really enjoyed for tips and tricks as well. The best ones always had an instructor who was happy and excited about the subject being taught. That energy and attitude are contagious so I try to always enter a class, whether as a teacher or a student, with a positive outlook.

Hi Brandon,
It is a pleasure to have had instructors like you mention. I hope that we all have had many of these types in our educational backgrounds. They help to inspire and shape the kind of teachers we are today.
Gary

Hi Rachel,

I think that's a great idea. Looking back at my college years I remember focusing more in classes where my professor related topics specifically to me. It made the subject matter relevant to what I wanted and really motivated me. I'll definitely use that in my future classes.

I completely agree. Students enjoy applying their new learned knowledge to the outside world. This has been the most positive feedback I have received from all of my students.

I agree, Brandon, that energy level and positive attitude are very important for motivating students, plus, it's a reciprocal process, helping me do my best. I think it helps when I can greet each student by name as people gather for class.

Sign In to comment