Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

motivating students

I found this first module very helpful. If the intructor can help probelm students focus on their strong points it will redirect their energies back into the class.

Hi Betsy,
Thank you for the kind words. You are correct about needing to provide support for problem students. By doing so they can see how they can have success and it reduces their anxiety so they can be more successful.
Gary

I have found that finding the students strengths and encouraging them even in the little tasks that it gives them confidence in themselves and they are less likely to act out.

I found this module helpful. As an instructor I point out my students weaknesses, but I also let them know their strengths and improvements, and I find that important because it builds their confidence level.

I try to do this as I grade an assignment as well. For each paper I try to look at what the student did well and what they need to work on. Simple comments like "nice point" or "good ..." directed to a particular area both encourage students and help them see what they should do throughout the rest of the work.

I use the same technique when the students are in a lab. The encouragement helps keep them motivated and when needed, careful correction can keep them headed in the right direction.

Sign In to comment