Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What do students call you?

As a new instructor, I find it hard getting used to being called by my last name. Sometimes, it just doesn't even register when I hear it. I'd prefer if they called me Ms. Annie (my first name) but is that professional enough? Is it overly friendly? Most other instructors at my campus use their last names or the first initial of their last name but there are a few who use their first names. Please share which way you prefer to be called and why.

Hi Annie,
When I first came here, I was fine with the students calling me Professor Judy, however, the culture here is to use the last names and even the students would say Professor Mohammed so that is what I use now. Some instructors (not here) allow studens to call them by their first names and I do not and that very professional.

Hi Annie, at my campus we go by Mr. Murdock or Mrs. Smith I was at a campus were first names were used and there was little respect shown to instructors or staff after 40 + years working in my field first names were what I had come to look for but as a instructor you need the respect for class control

I get your point,as a new instructor it is hard for me to get used to the last name thing as my last name is spelled Gubler, but pronounced Goobler, lots of interesting pronunciations. I just save them the trouble and ask that they call me Mr. G.

Hi Annie,
Since I am almost twice the age of my adult students, I give them the choice of Mr. Betteridge or Mr. "B".
In addition, when I address them, I also call them Mr or Miss, Mz, Mrs, etc.
Since I am in a technical field and our students leave here to enter the working field directly upon graduation, we stress heavily how to properly address others unless told different by the person being addressed.

In my Automotive Technical School I have found the students have a habit of dropping the "Mister" and just calling the Instructor by his last name, as in "Hey, Smith!" I find this annoying and feel these students have not been raised by their parents to show proper respect for their elders. Am I being too old fashoned in this? The lack of common courtesy among the youth I encounter in my classes is dismaying to say the least.

I agree, Mr King,I too, work at an Automotive Tech School, and I hate it when students address me by my last name. Unfortunately, I also hear other Instructors doing the same thing, so wheres the " Model"? Thats why I always make sure to address other Instructors as Mr.
They have been raised to not have respect for their elders. I am glad I was and that my Dad Kicked my behind!!

You're not being too old fashioned to expect respect from young (or old) folks. Within the generation X or Y groups respect does not always show itself the same way it did in our day. And no they may not have been taught "yes sir" and "Mr Smith" but they can hear us keep saying it and see what a difference it makes. It's worth the effort on our part even if we only convert a few.

I prefer to be called by my last name. I find being called by my first name very candid and familiar and I am not sure that I would want that kind of a relationship with my students.

Hi Maria,
You make a very good point about your professional position as a teacher. By being called by your last name you are creating an understanding on the part of the students that you are the instructor and that you will work hard to earn their respect and in return they will address you professionally.
Gary

I hear what you are saying, and when I first encountered this, I too, thought the same thing, that it was bad manners, or lack of respect, but even 'tho I am almost 50, I have a very good sense of humour, and an excellent rapport with my students, as I have not forgotten what it's like to be 20 something. (I still am, I just can't stop this body from getting older!) I think this might be more a sense of perspective, as the younger men and women don't take "Hey MInnARD!" as disrespectful, but actually, this is their way of showing respect and gratitude. At least this is how it looks in my world! Chuck!

I also agree. I address all my student techs as Mr., or Ms. I do not like being called by my last name only. Reminds me of the playground. When I am called by my last name only I respond, don't forget my first mane. It is mister. On the first day of class I always say to the class I respond to Mr. Nerad.
Not hey teach, or dude.

I refer to my students as Mr. or Ms. In doing
so, I noticed that when they speak to me that
there is usually a Mr. in front of my last name.
I simply tell my student the first day of class
to treat others as they wish to be treated.

Hi Annie, I have been teaching now for several years and at one school I was called by my first name, as it was embroidered on my shirt. The school I am with now encourages professionalism to the highest standard and all the Instructors Id badges start with Mr. or Mrs. and then their last name. I address my students in the same fashion and refer to them as Mr. or Ms. and then their last name even when I call roll. They intern call me either Mr. Kincannon or Mr. K (if they have trouble pronouncing my name). I try to instill a professional aspect to what our students are going to be faced with when they hit the work force. After all I truly believe that I am training my field replacements and they not only represent our school but me as well.

HI Robert,
we may be from the same generation or not. But I also use the same techniques you described. After they complete the program and secure their license to practice, then we are "colleagues" and I will call them by their 1st name and encourage the same in response.

I also use this approach, i.e., when several hands are up to answer a question on the floor or make a comment, I point at them with "and you sir" or "yes ma'am". It appears to contribute to creating an environment of maturity and responsibility for the interactions among us. Mind you I encourage humor/laughter but never at the expense of an individual or their contribution. Every response is treated with respect and a "thank you, sir/ma'am."

I agree; there is a time/place for certain relationships. An adult/adult with a teacher/student demeanor seems to work best and avoids any expectations of being a "pal."

I do not allow my students to adress me by my firt name.I feel that would take away from the instuctor student relationship.However I do accept Mr M if they cannot prnounce my last name. I teach electrical courses,so some students call me Dr Ohm .By the way I like being called Dr Ohm.It is A way of my students showing respect for my knowalge.So I guess what I am tring to say.Is that as long as you maintain A student istructor relationship.If they come up with pet names that mantain the istructor student relationship it is OK

I am in total agreement with you Wilfred, as my last name sometimes becomes a tongue twister for students. I am comfotable with Mr. "S" or Mr. Don, and I have yet to have anyone drop the "Mr.", even the younger students. By allowing a a relaxed version of the formal Mr. title, it helps to improve the atmosphere for absorbing information, which, after all, is what we, as instructors want our students to do...be sponges!
I address them as Mr., or Ms, or, in some cases, Mrs., and they respond very well to the mutual respect being shown.
Treat others as you wish to be treated.

Hi Donald,
Good comments about how you can set a professional tone for your classes where mutual respect is shown between the instructor and students.
Gary

Sign In to comment