Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching students who have English as a second language

I am a instructor in a technical school. Many times students are enrolled who are very limited in reading and speaking English. I cannot hold the class back for them, but where is the line drawn between their needs and the rest of the class?

Hi E,
The line is based upon student progress. Can the students demonstrate adequate progress based upon course content and time lines? If not then some form of instructional support needs to be implemented for the limited English speakers.
There are a number of supports you can give these individuals to help them with their progress but they have to have the content and skills or your program will soon be gone.
Gary

I agree with you Dr. Meers. Hand on training demonstration is the best way for limited English speekers. Willing to help and support them that what they need from a teacher/ instructor. And that also show how is your knowleged, skills and how much you care for your program and your student.
Trang nguyen

I too have students with limited skills in reading and understanding the english language. Since I instruct international students I have found that it sometimes is the choice of words that I use. I am not suggesting that you talk down to your students, but to remember how it was to be a student knowing nothimg about the topic that was being taught. Teach the basic language of your skill, use more visual aids, and refer your skills set to something that they can relate to. This also means learning a bit about your students. This does take a little extra time in your day, but the results will surprise you. Be Patient!!!

Hi Ron,
Thank you for your comments about working with diverse learners. The working word of "patience" is a good one.
Gary

I like your answer,but alot people don't see it that way.

Ron.. It was great to read your suggestions. I have one student that is from russia she knows the skill from previous experience but unfortunately she is having difficuty with her written exams and communicating with me. I will keep trying.

My suggestion to students that are dealing with language barriers is to turn the caption on while watching TV. When they do that they will hear the word as it is spoken and also get a chance to see the written word simultaneously.

I made this suggestion to a student who is from Romania and she began to move forward with rocket speed.

Hi Adarine,
Great suggestion. Thanks for sharing it with the forum participants.
Gary

This is an issue which I am presently facing, and I am still in the process of deciphering ways in which to address such students. When lecturing to my students, I try to give to visual illustrations, and also write a lot of notes, in addition to speaking. I strongly recommend that my ESL students, seek assistance from the Learning and Acadmeic Centrue to assist them in writing papers, speech. I also conduct 2 hour tutoring sessions to those students.

Hi Reva,
I commend you for all of your efforts. By offering a variety of ways to develop learning skills in English you are enhancing both the learning and success opportunities for your students. I know they are able to progress as a result of your efforts.
Gary

Advice that was given to me was to encourage students to pick up a local paper, for me the San Francisco Chronicle, that has a low reading level. If the student is continuously reading, they will improve and be able to continue to fare better in the classroom.

Hi Corinne,
Newspapers are written at the 6th grade reading level. If you have students reading these papers you know where they are at in skill level. This will help you create a base line and then you can add additional reading as their skills develop until they are comfortable with your course content and the reading requirements of their career field.
Good suggestion. Thanks.
Gary

I believe that in the classroom you must draw a line as to how much of the other students time is used to keep these students with the rest. But as an instructor I believe that it will be my responsibility to push the student to consider tutoring or some kind of extra activity to ensure understanding of the days lesson.

Hi Manuel,
Forward progression is a must with all instruction. By addressing with students the issue of progress you can help them succeed. Providing in class instructional supports may be sufficient to help them keep pace with the class. If not then a referral can help them secure the needed support that will enable them to keep pace with the class. You are on the right track in working with students that have special needs.
Gary

First, I encourage the student to read the text which I have gone over. Then I may give some individual instruction to the student so that he/she may have a better comprehension of the subject. I believe that the follow-up in individual instruction will help to motivate the student and encouage him/her to read more on his/her own.

Hi Raul,
Something that all students like is some individual attention at some point in a class, even if it is just for a few seconds to show that you the instructor recognize their attendance and participation in class that day.
This will help them to be more involved and motivated in the class.
Gary

When I teach English composition I suggest to my Second Language Learners to write the essays in their first language. They can translate it into English from any of the free online translation programs. Then we work on English grammar. I usually have them read the paper out loud and they catch most of the mistakes. I find this helps them with the flow of writing. If they have to think in one language and then turn it into English it slows down the train of thought.

Hi Renee,
Thanks for sharing this teaching strategy. I know other participants will benefit from your idea.
Gary

I too have experienced this in the classroom. I find that if I take a moment to define a word or explain certain vocabulary during the lesson, all of my students benefit. I never make any assumptions about the reading level of any of my students. In technical education, many of the students do not have strong reading comprehension or vocabulary skills.

Sign In to comment