Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Perfect Student Perfect Instructor

As there is no perfect student, there is no perfect instructor. I have found that admitting my mistakes in a humble way, lets the student understand that I to am human and assures the student when they do not complete a task the first time, I will be there to say "you gave it your best and tomorrow will be a new day". I let my students know that I am not perfect, but I will always do my best and that is what I expect of them.

Hi Melody,
You have a great way of expressing your educational outlook. No, we are not perfect as educators, but we are dedicated. If we strive each day to do the best we can and we are prepared each time the class meets we will have done much to meet our professional obligation.
Also, if we develop a professional development plan for ourselves we will continue to grow in our competence and confidence.
Gary

I think this is such a great philosphy and such a good "model". Thanks for sharing.

It seems to me it is so important to build relationships with students that optimize the learning experience. Being able to maintain appropriate authority and leadership in a classroom while revealing that one is human is really a gift

Stew

That is so correct. There are no perfect students or perfect instructors. I do make mistakes, I correct them and apologize. If I don't have the right answer, I let them know that I will do my best to come in the next day with the right answer. Letting them know that you also can make a mistake makes them feel that they are okay not being perfect. It lets them know to keep striving to do better and never quit.

This could be a valuable class activity: list the qualities that you think would define the perfect student/perfect instructor. It could lead to some great insight in that many of the qualities should be identical.

Sign In to comment