Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Only obstacles in learning may be attitude

Every day we face attitude from the students ,
Specially with a new group of students. What should we do to handle this problem

I address students on a daily basis and explain to them that there attitude makes all the difference in the world. this is also important in the educational arena. I tell instrutors and staff that the student who comes in through the doors, that the instructor, you or me maybe the people in their life that smiles and cares and gives an example of what positive attitude is.
I feel sad when I see students who walk around with rocks on their back and do not accept the fact that this is the time in their life to rise and shine. They are making the difference to be the best they can be. This is the only time in their life where for some of our students can be a place of safety. I take this seriously. Students need to know what they say and how they say things have energy to them. The student who is successful will say to themselves< "I can do this".

Hi Dagger,
Good comments. Many times the greatest service we do for our students is to encourage them, just as you are doing. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I think that is true sometimes, but often not. I teach elementary mathematics. It is often the case that students in my classes have problems because math is such a different type of activity than they have done before. I try to explain that math is just like a foreign language. At first it looks like gibberish, but as they look at what is written and try to carefully translate it into English and then carefully try to figure out the meaning and then the answer, the process isn't as imposing.

Sign In to comment