Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating attitudes successfully

I recently took over a class for an instructor on medical leave. My first few class meetings were unproductive to say the least. Many of the students had an attitude. Attitude and disrespectful behavior had me at wondering what to do. After great thought, I chose to start a recent class off with a discussion of respect went hand and hand with professional behavior and success. I continued with demonstrating, comically, what not to do during an interview. I then worked the discussion into their field's professional expectations and certifications they should strive to acquire. It seemed help me connect with them and by the end of the class the ones who were late, did not want to leave. What suggestions does anyone have?

Hi Alice,
Again you are using methods that help you to create rapport with your students. In taking over the already started class you put yourself in the position of being a substitute teacher, as in high school. Remember those poor souls were treated? By using the respect lecture and discussion you were able to create an atmosphere of respect for yourself. I commend your efforts.
Many times adult students want to be treated with respect while forgetting to give it. They need to work on developing respect for others, as their success in the work world will be based upon how they give and receive respect.
Gary

Hello Alice:

Perhaps by establishing a role, and offering the classroom what your expectations of the course, the pupils will be more incline to listen. You can then lead the classroom to the route to see best fit.

Thank you for your advice, I will remember that for the next time. We have now finished our term but I am happy to say after my actions I spoke of before the class really turned around. Actually the last class meeting all the students thanked me for all my help.

I have been teaching for 2 years. On the first day of class I tell them what is expected from them. I go over school rules. I also tell them about the professionalism grade that they will recieve. They lose points for being absent, tardy, disrespectful, not being prepared etc. After sticking with it for a couple of months the students fall right into place and new students that are entering follow the lead.

Hi Melissa,
Glad to hear about your positive experiences with your students. Humans like variety but don't like surprises when it comes to their future. You are helping to shape their future by giving them the expectations. I to use the professional points area. They not only have to do the required course work but they get professional points for the things that you listed. As educators we have to work on both the soft skills (human skills) as well as the specific skills of the area.
Gary

Your idea is great. In every places instructors are facing attitude. Specially when a new instructor starts a class with a new group of students . But if we can show our mastery and concerned and let the students know that attitude may be thier only obstacles for learning,may be we can take control of the class.

Hi Mohammed,
As educators we must try and create a setting that helps the students to develop a positive attitude toward the upcoming instructional phase. Also, by developing strong rapport with students instructors can help them with some of the attitudes that pop up during the course. Students need help at times with staying focused on the end result and that is their career success.
Gary

Thank you I will remember that for my next class, I totaly agree that you have to give respect in order to recieve it.

It helps to be friendly to the students but not friends with them

Hi Steve,
Good point and well said.
Gary

I agree that demonstrating our mastery of our subject matter can be a very effective way of improving students' respect not only for their instructor, but also for the classroom learning environment. If they understand that the instructor in front of the room has something to offer them, they may be more willing to set aside any self-destructive attitude problems. While it would be ideal to get respect from students simply because they respect the learning environment and their instructor's efforts to help them learn, this is not always the case.

Sign In to comment