Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leader

Greetings,

Perhaps I can get some help here. I have no problems establishing myself as "leader" in the classes but I always end up struggling with this later in the semester.

This has been true _every_ semester I've taught for six years. It seems I must do something drastic to re-establish the "leader" role.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi Dan,
Often what happens in a class is that the instructor starts to relax as the students get more comfortable with with the class setting. This not to say that teachers can't relax as they move the students through the course, but they must make sure that the students know who is in control.
There are several ways a teacher can do this. One, is always call the class to order and make announcements relation to the college and the class. This calling to order establishes the fact that you have information they need in order to succeed. Don't relax this order of things. By always having the call to order the students know that attention will be directed to you as the class begins. In addition, make sure that you share information about upcoming assignments, due dates, etc. with the class. Again, you are moving the minds of the students to your thought process. Another way of saying this, the students must come to the well for a drink (information).
Watch your behavior with the students. As you and they start to relax and get comfortable with you they may start to see you as a buddy rather than the teacher. You can't be their buddy so keep those professional lines carefully drawn when dealing with the students.
As you develop rapport with your students, develop it so the students respect you as a professional and someone that wants to help them succeed. Don't let students with natural leadership ability take over the classroom, let these leaders lead small groups and other such activities but make sure they know you are in control of the learning environment.
Hope some of these ideas will be of help to you. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will try and get answers for you.
Gary

Thank you for your words. Yes, careful watch over my relationship will (does) help.

I have plans for next semester.

Dan.

Dan,

You are too cool and become friends with them during break time.

I don't think it's a problem and I don't think you should change anything...BUT, if you wanted to change anything it would probably be not to share break time with the students.

During break, you would go into the office or give some one on one time with one of the "stoopider" kids.

I wouldn't change anything...you're a great teacher!

Michael Mordecai

Sign In to comment