Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating younger vs. older students

In my last class the age spread was from 18 to 42. While it is not always that wide, I find a consistent trend towards the older students being self-motivators. I'm sure we all realize several obvious reasons for this such as maturity, life experience and the fact that older students are attending class on their own accord rather than their parents sending them! However, I cannot help thinking that if I did a better job relating to the younger students, (I'm 38) motivating them would be immensely easier.

I believe motivation is so important because for some of the younger students who come in with the attitude of just wanting to know the answers for the test, motivation is what will get them engaged.

I just know that I can do a better job and have an easier time motivating the younger crowd. As I said, I think learning to relate to them is a key place to start. Does anyone else experience this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Perry:
I absolutely experience this, and it is ocassionally the source of some frustration for me. I too, notice the difference in motivation between older and younger students, and this "difference" is the source of my generalization about "students today" in my posting in module 3.

Yes, I find myself thinking that if I did a better job of relating to younger students that I could some how unlock the motivation puzzle. I will not quit trying to motivate, to teach, and to encourage students to learn; but I must say, that in my expereince there is a growing percentage of students in the classroom who want the grade, want the degree, want the job; but do not want to do any measure of work that they perceive as difficult or painful.

For these students, it seems to make no difference whether they relate to me, I relate to them, or to what degree I attempt to engage and motivate them.

I have young motivated students and I have older motivated students. They buy into the notion that learning may require some work, but that it is really not painful and can be fun. I go to great lengths to make sure that this expectation is met. But for the "masses" in my classroom, it really seems to be more of a personality trait of poor work ethic and marginal character that contributes to their gimme-gimme approach to coursework. These are learned behaviors and I just don't know that the classroom environment provides enough opportunity to reshape personality and character- to any significant degree.

And of course, the same disclaimer as in my previous post. I absolutely love students-they are the only reason that I have returned to the classroom. I love teaching and approach it in such a way as to let the students know that I love being there and love being there for them.
So no, I am neither jaded nor cynical as it relates to students or their effort in the classroom. I am simply concerned about what I have observed to be a growing trend among "students today"

Hi Perry,
There is not easy answer to the question you raise. Experience has shown me that I need to try a variety of different approaches when I am working with the younger students. They become much more involved if I get them involved with case studies or examples where they can experience their field in a direct way. Also, I have had a lot of success by pairing older and younger students. The often create a connection and become a great team.
Another important part of rapport is being able to identify with their needs in relation to their ages. There is something to be said about maturity when it comes to being a dedicated learner. Part of our job is to help with the maturity factor as they go through our courses.
Gary

I think I need to be reminded from time to-time of four things. The first is what I believe is my main role as a facilatator-teacher for all students young and old: that the student will no longer need me and take charge of his/her own learning.

The second: That I am not going to be able to reach everyone but will do my best to work one-on-one through the student to help him or her take charge of his/her own learning experience.

The third: I will remain consistent in my interactions and expectations and not vacillate.

And lastly, I will know myself and keep striving to know myself.

I heard the first phrase when I was taking my master's program a few years ago and I have remembered and have done my best to put it into practice ever since.

There recently was an article in The Chronicle of Higher Education which addressed many of the pressures students and teachers face: from lack of student motivation to sense of student entitlement to the high cost of education which can promote a sense of entitlement. The article is called "A Tough Love Manifesto for Professors" which discusses that fine line we walk and the reasons why over the past few years such pressures have increased.

In the article the writer outlined what students can expect from the teacher. I thought it was an excellent list of expectations such as, " I will treat you with respect due to all human beings and I will manage the class in a professional manner. That may include educating you in appropriate behavior." This article is something I have incorporated into my classroom.

I think that observations about such things as student motivation are good as they provide a template or road map as to how to respond. I have not noticed an age limit due to a lack of motivation and agree that it is linked more to cultural, esteem issues, and belief systems.

The first section talked about knowing yourself and what you stand for. I agree with that premise. I accept that I am not going to motivate every student I have in my class, but I give my best to help them take charge of their learning experience in every class.

Jodell Raymond

Hi Jodell,
I want to commend you on your excellent assessment of how you perceive yourself and your role in the educational process of your students.
Among the many good points that you made is the one that you are going to keep trying no matter what. This effort is what keeps teachers teaching. Even with tough times that one student that really "gets it" is worth all the time expended.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

I totally agree with you Perry. I think that older students bring a work ethic to their learning. Most of the time older students are in school for a second career and they want to get the most out of the courses. Younger students do not have the work ethic yet and like you said just want the answer to the test.
To encourage my younger students I always emphasize the relevance of what I am teaching. Bringing real life experience help the students understand why it is important to know the subjects. I try to go beyond the test, and beyond the class.

Hi Jodell,

I really appreciate your point about not being able to motivate all students. I had an accounting students last semester who was very bright. He received a 92% on the midterm and a 89% on the final. However he never studied, missed classes, and did not once complete his homework assignements. I talked to him several times about the fact that he was hurting his grade. I even enroll the director help. Nothing worked. It pained me but I had to give him a C in the class. There is more to a class than passing a test. Participation and doing your homework are also important.
Anne-Patricia

I will have to agree with Perry as well. The younger the student, the harder the motivating gets. I find it more challenging to motivate my relatively younger students. Maybe they don't fully understand and value the strong knowledge and training. An an instructor i do my best to show them the value of being prepared for the job that waits for them. Maybe it is the first step in way of success. Unfortunately its harder for younger students to see it right away.

Hi Omer,
You are right about motivating younger students. They have not had the benefit of life experiences that reinforce the need for acquiring the skills needed for their field. I have found that by breaking down the needed content into small units of information and then giving the students opportunities to immediately use their newly acquired knowledge they do a much better job of staying engaged in the learning process. They see things more from a day to day process rather than the big picture as seen by more career mature learners.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Hi Jodell,

Thank you for your comments. I found it very helpful to see how you viewed your desire to help your students as best you could yet setting a healthy boundary.

Stew

I try to employ them as a resource. It is my objective to make the class feel like a supportative community so everyone feels comfortable in taking the risk of asking or answering questions. The younger students like to offer their opinions and don't mind the attention of becoming an example in a lesson. They usually ferret out answers to "why" or "but nobody talks like that" then we find yes, many people talk like that, etc.

Hi Edna,
Good use of an in class resource. Both groups get the benefit of sharing this ways.
Gary

This is my first time teaching and I tried to pair the older students with the younger students in group projects. It seemed to work for me.

Sign In to comment