Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Practical Assessments

In culinary we use active learning through demonstration and practical application. Our students truly learn best by seeing and doing. This reinforces the techniques of cooking/baking. As a Chef, our professional industry experience helps us to train future cooks and chefs better.

Hi Todd,
Yes! Students need to do it/see it in order to fully get it!

Patricia Scales

Hi Todd,
I'm in health education and it is the same with out students, they like the hands on approach to learn their skills.

Hi Stephanie,
Most students regardless of their major prefer the hands-on approach. I learn better by doing.

Patricia Scales

I love different types of assessments. In teaching interpersonal communications, I have my students do Dr. Chapman's 5 Love languages! BARSCH, True Colors, and a few others and then link the results, purpose, and outcomes to our text chps and their behaviors and speeches. They enjoy some more than others and discuss whether valid or not. They often compare and contrast their results to different poems and chapter info to personalize and internalize their results.

Hi CoCintheane,
Most students tend to enjoy these types of assessments! These assessments are great to learn about the students and to generate discussion. Students learn a lot about themselves as well from doing these assessments.

Patricia Scales

As an instructor in culinary, using practical assessments are a great way to let the students do a "hand on" demonstration of what they know, with the understanding of what is to be expected of them and what is being expected for the final outcome.. The students actively participate and see what they can bring forth with their hands from the knowledge they have been lectured on or what they have seen in a demonstration.

Hi BRUCE,
It is good to let students apply the theory they have been taught. When students can apply what they have learned, they have grasped the concept.

Patricia Scales

I am not sure that it is practical in all fields.

Hi Matthew,
Students like knowing that they can apply what they have learned, thus making learning practical.

Patricia Scales

Practical Assessment is also great when teaching Medical Assisting; especially when we’re teaching Phlebotomy, Urinalysis, ECG, and Pharmacology. It’s also helpful for the students to also learn how to react to the patient’s fears and concerns.

Hi Sunshine,
Yes, students need to know how to keep their patients calm. There are a lot of patients who have a fear of going to the doctor.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment