Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning has proven to be a powerful tool !

In some of our courses,we would lecture on the subject sometimes for hours then go to the lab and actively perform the activities we had lectured on. This works to an extent. One course I teach in particular, has made a big move toward the active learning style and I, personally, have been able to see a much improved outcome from it. Much of the lecture material has been converted to operating and testing instructions that the students use as they are physically able to experience the outcome of their actions in real time. This method seems to dramatically strengthen their understanding and gives them a much better initial grasp of the material and concepts.

Hi Robert,
Great change. Your school may want to implement with lecturing shorter periods of time and applying what has been taught over a shorter period of time. Students just do not excel very high with lengthy drawn out lectures, especially this generation.

Patricia Scales

I like to call it the microwave generation. There is a lot of information at our fingertips in the world today. The transfer of information through pure lecture is way too slow boring. Pure lecture might work good at bedtime. We all have to transfer knowledge through lecture, but it can be an active lecture. My whole method of presentation is based on discussion. I am the moderator, keeping the discussion on track, but the flow comes from interation between students and myself and sometimes other students. I instruct automotive technology, so there is plenty of time to get hands on experience in lab.

Hi Benson,
There is certainly no way around lecture, but you can always include fun things in the lecture to add some flavor to the course.

Patricia Scales

One of the keys to makign long lectures work is to incorporate as many questions from students as possible, & when they wont ask, you ask them

Hi Andy,
Students really do need to be included in the lectures. A nice trade off for long lectures is to perform a hands-on activity or some type of interactive activity.

Patricia Scales

Teaching in a culinary school, is truely active learning. We fine that some of our students get so lost when we talk to them and show power points. sometimes they even get lost when they watch a demo. Yet the students really learn when they do it them selfs. This is what make it so important not only to see or hear something but to do it also. The food industry is based off hands on working. So many time the students learn more from doing things and making mistakes then just hearing or watching someone else make mistakes, turly the best way to learn is buy doing. :) most of the times when it applies.

In my course, we are able to do a short lecture to briefly discuss the topic and then go to lab to apply what we learned. We return back to class for active discussion about what was seen and fixed. This leads to a more in depth lecture about the subject, followed by lab time again.

I find this keeps them moving, active and ready to learn. The comprehension is much better as well.

I found it really helps to get students, randomly choosen, in front of the class to do white board exercises. To make sure not to embarass the student if they are struggling with the assignment is to lead them toward the answer before they become frustrated. Sometimes the class in a positive way jump in to help which makes for more class envolvement.

Hi Christopher,
I concur! Most students certainly learn better/more by doing.

Patricia Scales

Hi Stacey,
Students have more input/questions have they have done a task. They know what to talk about or what questions to ask.

Patricia Scales

Hi Don,
Most classmates love to come to rescue a struggling student. Most classmates really try to stick together during open discussion.

Patricia Scales

Lecture is not my favorite thing to do in class but, it is a necessary element of teaching that satisfies certain learning styles and can be used effectively to introduce or support what is learned in the lab. Nothing is better than talking about a subject matter and then showing students what it looks like happening in a real world atmosphere. It also gives them a chance to learn how to use their tools and test instruments.

On our campus we have implemented active learning in many of our "lecture" courses by illustrating points in the material with simple demonstrations such as having the students "grow" different types of bacteria in the Sanitation class or having students cook a simple dish for demo and show the yield of the food they are making in Cost Control class - trimming a melon, filleting a fish - how much is usable product and how does this impact the true per ounce cost? These activites make the information vital and real to the student an it is certainly more fun and interesting!

Hi Steven,
There really is no way around lecture. Lecture must take place, but lecture can certainly be supported with application.

Patricia Scales

Hi Roberta,
I agree! When students understand how they are going to benefit from their course material, they really do have a different level of excitement and interest.

Patricia Scales

In remedial classes, lecturing is not effective. I will teach a concept and have the students try it in small groups. They are to discuss their reasoning and teach the other students in their groups. Generally, the participants are now comfortable with their response and any of the members will share with the group.

I find that when giving lecture it helps to give the students brief breaks about every fourty minutes, when they come back from break give them a breif review of what was discussed before the break to see how much they have retained, by doing this on a regular basic the students pay a bit more attention knowing that there will be a review as soon as they come back from their break,
and they seem to retain more.

Hi Jennifer,
Great approach to help students in remedial classes grasp the concept. Remedial teaching is more effective from doing hands-on activities.

Patricia Scales

Hi Ranee,
Learning in small chunks really do appear to be more effective. Constant lecture is not the best approach. A break does the brain good!

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment