Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging the "shy" student

I find active learning activities vital in teaching applied science subject matters. When using small groups, I try to pair some of the aggressive learners with less aggressive learners. My hope is that the stronger personality will help the other, however, this may not be the best approach. Sometimes I notice some students will sit back, not because they have less desire to learn or participate, but they allow others to dominate. Do you have any suggestions to overcome this situation? I have attempted to pair the less dominate personalities together as well, but it is a great feeling when the students seem to pull one another out of their shell. I want to provide a comfortable environment for these students, but I fear they may not get the best experience based on the pairing.

Hi Ann,
Great way to pair students. Try giving the nonaggressive student the leadership role in the group so that the dominate student does not take over fully.

Patricia Scales

That is often the case when students work in pairs or small groups. However, there are other methods such as Think,Write,Pair,Share, or Numbered Heads Together, Partner Interviews, etc. that involve each participant in an equal manner.

Hi Jeff,
Shy students when definitely open up more when participation is shared equally.

Patricia Scales

I feel the same way as Jeff, by involving the students equally in the learning activity it makes the shy students speak up and become active in the participation exercise as well as it makes the dominant personalities realize that their partner or other people in the group also need to be included. I love the idea of pairing 2 people together to discuss the topic and asking them both to speak aloud to share with the class both of their thoughts. That way they can discuss the topic together taking the fear out of not knowing the answer or the anxiety of not being able to explain it, working as a team will help each other share in the knowledge together.

Hi Amanda,
There is nothing like team work. Students tend to do better in a team setting. Two brains are always better than one.

Patricia Scales

In my class I ask the students to bring in an article, picture or anything that has to do with the subject we are learning in class. I start each class with the students talking about the piece they brought in and everyone discusses the importance of the article, etc. This tends to get everyone going which is a good start to the class. After about 15 or 20 minuets we are ready to start the lecture which I provide guided notes for. Every once in a while I will stop to have a discussion on what we just heard. This gives me a break as well as them.

Hi Francine,
Great icebreaker and an awesome way to get all involved and geared up for the lecture.

Patricia Scales

That is a great idea! Unfortunately, if the group gets too large, the shy student may find it easier to receed into the background. Pairing allows all a voice in an activity or discussion.

Hi Julie,
Yes, when there are just two to a group, the shy student is forced to participate.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment