Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning during Quizes

I have started to adopt a 'scavenger hunt' process for my students. I have found that many feel a lot of pressure during exam taking and as a result, I believe they aren't performing as well as they could. Instead, I break them into groups and allow them to explore the why's of the information. One thing is for sure, the attitude of the students has improved a great deal about test taking.

It is cool, the more of these classes I take the more I understand that some teaching methods can really be enhanced by following instincts. Before this class, I was unaware there was a name for what I was doing.

Hi Cheyney,
Great! Our students really do feel pressure during exams. It is so helpful to the students when we can make learning fun at anytime, especailly during a sressful time as exams.

Patricia Scales

Hi Guys!
One of my tests is a "group" test. I separate the class into three to four groups and each group creates 10 test questions with the correct answers. The goal is to create a test with difficult questions that will "stump" the other groups. I am always amazed at how competitive the students become. They are allowed to use all resources, their notes, examples, internet, textbook, the works. I monitor the groups and nudge them in the right direction!

Hi Olga,
Great idea! Some of our students are highly intelligent and can really make things complex. In this situation competition is a good thing; it is encouraging students to work harder.

Patricia Scales

i really love this ideal, i think it would make a really fun activity, I really like the idea of making this activity work between the level of the students, meaning asking the upper level students to create quizzes for the younger level students,especially when it comes to our practical laboratory exercises

Great idea indeed, Olga! I assume that when students create their own test, they will eventually take the test. I am sure they will feel a sense of pride in knowing they are taking tests they created.

Hi Dr. Felicia,
When students create a test, I am sure grades are higher. They should know the answers to at least the questions they came up with.

Patricia Scales

Hi Jerri,
Great thought! I am anxious to know how something like this will work. Peer testing should benefit the students.

Patricia Scales

I like this idea. I may consider using this in my Psychology class.

Hi Cheryl,
This will serve as a great activity in a high-level course like psychology.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment