Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning

I love to play games, anything to do with encouraging, active learning in the classroom. The only thing I get frustrated with is students who don't feel they need to be active in order to learn. They would just rather keep lecturing and test! I encourage them and still meet alot of resistance, any suggestions?

possibly instead of pausing and making a game the center of focus, possibly subtly incorporate it into lecture and people will participate without actually knowing they played

Hi Bonita,
I give a paricipation grade to encourage participation. This works really well.

Patricia Scales

Hi Manny,
Games are meant to be fun, and approach games from the perspective that we are going to have fun while learning.

Patricia Scales

I also grade participation. It encourages students to volunteer for presentations, lead classroom discussions and ultimately prevents boredom from setting in. If the instructor doesn't provide some concrete reason for participation, I have found that student tend not to bother speaking up.

Hi Robert,
I concur! I give a participation grade as well; this tactic forces students to partake, otherwise most will not.

Patricia Scales

Yes. While not all students are willing to participate, I definitely recognize those that do, particularly when their comments advance the lesson.

For those who are nevertheless "painfully shy," I also count their participation in small groups that I observe when moving through the classroom during these sessions.

Hi Robert,
I love to give shy students leadership roles to encourage their participation. It is amazing what some shy students can actually do.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment