Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cautions in Using Storytelling | Origin: ED146

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

How Storytelling Benefits Learning --> Cautions in Using Storytelling

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Being cautious about when and how you use humor in storytelling can help include your audience and incite their emotions without unnecessarily disclosing too much personal information about yourself.

I find learning and listening to your students can be helpful when using a story. I have found that diversity can be touchy during current events. I have learned how to use such topics to help students stay focus on their class work instead of the current event.

I had not previously entertained the idea of the value of story telling to create a relaxing learning environment. 

I often use storytelling to relate with the content being taught. I have caught myself beginning to give personal information and stopped myself. This caused students to enquire and ask more questions, which I advise that information is irrelevant and we get back on point.

Storytelling is often a double edged sword. If wielded incorrectly, it can often disrupt the lesson being taught and even turn students away from the learning material. It is important for instructors to continually remind themselves that, when telling a story, that they are instructors. Over sharing personal details (i.e. politics) or using inappropriate humor will dissuade students from wanting to come to class or taking the lesson as seriously as they should be. 

Sign In to comment