Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Is it right to deduct credit points from a student if a student forgets his safety glasses?

Interesting question. It appears that safety glasses in this instance are not a suggestion but a requirement. I would ask you if this is a reoccurring problem with the student or a one off situation. If this has occurred more than once,  a warning of a potential credit loss was given,  and you have a policy in-place. Then I would say yes.

It is difficult without knowing all the particulars of your School, the setting and expectations, but the reality is the loss of a credit if far less important then that of eye sight.

Please Ronald, Let me know what you ultimately do its a good question.

Thanks .

Frankie

I would say, absolutely.

Safetey culture, is a learned behavior. The importance of safetey, and the culture you create with your students will be directly impacted by how you handle infringements.

As for myself, I take two points from a students final grade, and explain that in the Field, they would simply be sent home and would eventually be terminated for this violation. 

Grades are the only currency you ultimately have to modify student behavior. Because I impliment cleanliness and safetey consequences for non compliance, I rarely have these issues at all. Instructors that I have heard complain of this issue, do not impliment fiscal academic reductions for infringements. 

I prefer the point deduction system over sending the student home for a day. If I send them home, they may lose out on instruction that will ultimately punish the class as well as myself, when I have to repeat instruction for the benefit of the offender. Overcoming a GPA drop is less invasive, as the student will still graduate and learn. Since this is ultimately our goal, the point system is quite effective.

Sign In to comment