Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

tools of the trade

In teaching criminal justice courses 'I often bring in drug test kits, handcuffs etc to show the class. Does anyone esle do this?

peter,

I have not had experience with teaching Criminal Justice courses, however I am curious as to how the students respond, to these class "props"?

Tremayne Simpson

I do not teach Criminal Justice but I also wonder how your students react when you bring this in your class. How many leave suddenly sick???

I don't teach CJ courses, but what I do teach, yes, i often bring in tools of the trade, and show them how different software can be integrated into their current software program/projects.

This lets them know that there is more than just that one technology to create whatever they are trying to achieve.

More tools of the trade might include new gear out on the market, or perhaps even a visual performance of a relevant piece of the project we are referring to.

In teaching automotive, visual training aids are a huge resource to help the students understand.

I teach nursing, so when I teach the medical surgical course at the end I call a day "putting it all together" where I bring in props. The students not only get to put all the concepts together, but the props help the students visually cement those concepts together as most adult learners are visual learners.

What we might consider "props" in one class function as lab equipment in another. We may display and even demonstrate Personal Protective Equipment when we study Healthcare Regulations.
In a medical procedures class the students will master the effective use of masks, gloves and sharps. Criminal Justice students may learn how to use testing kits at crime scenes.

Sign In to comment