Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lesson Plans

sholud all students be based on the same learning level, if not how do you make adjustments in your lesson plan.

Students do not all learn on the save level. It is important to include in your lesson plan lecture time and time for doing demostrations also a chance for students to get hands on experience to cover the different types of learning skills.

Bruce,

I agree. The class session must be diversified, in order to accomodate the varying needs of the students.

Tremayne Simpson

Howard,

It is difficult to base all students "on the same learning level", within career colleges. Many traditional institutions have standardized entrance requirements, which provides the administration with an understanding of the consensus, student learning level. The majority of career colleges, do not have standardized entrance requirements, which makes it difficult to assess student learning levels. Therefore, instructors must have diversified teaching methods, in order to accomodate the variance.

Tremayne Simpson

Bruce, I agree with you that extra time should be alloted in the event that some students struggle with the lecture. Giving time for hands on experience or performing a demonstration will help the learners that require visual or kinesthetic learning techniques.

I do not think all student should be based on the same learning level. All students learn differently. There is so much information and research out there today that defies the notion that all students learn the same and are on the same level. Therefore, I believe teaching should incorporate a myriad of styles. In my classroom, I try to incorporate different learning styles for atleast the visual, verbal and kinesthetic learner. I use PowerPoint visuals and transition for the visual learner, I lecture from an elaboration based on my PowerPoints, and I try to add activities for the kinesthetic learner. All these styles are reflected in my lesson plans through the daily topical outline. I think it is a great way to teach multiple learners, who may learn on different levels.

Brandi,

I agree with this approach. An instructor must find ways to diversify their instructional methods, in order to adhere to the various learning levels. It is important that instructors consistently take advantage of professional development opportunities, that can be used to assist them with implementing "fresh" approaches to their delivery of class content.

Tremayne Simpson

I do not believe that students should be based on the same level due to the fact that they have different levels of experience. First there is an assessment of what they already know, an assessment of what they know by the end of the course, degree of class participation and degree of improvement. I challenge the students who have a more thorough knowledge to get better and to help them stay engaged. Over all scores are about even. I am still looking for new ways of assisting all my students no matter what their experience level.

Ronald,

Most instructors share your challenge of meeting the needs of students, with varying learning levels. To accomodate all students, I feel that it is important to: diversify the assessments that are used to gage student comprehension and provide a multitude of opportunities for students to display their knowledge of the subject matter.

Tremayne Simpson

I do not believe that each student should be taught the exact same way. Some students come into the course knowing more information than others. Some students catch on faster and some are slower. I believe that taking the time to work with each individual student allows for them to end up at the same point.

Sign In to comment