Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Overview of Lesson Plans

Before each class I always outline the material I intend to cover and additional material if the class time goes to fast. The next class I will briefly cover the major points and then continue with the lesson plan for that class.

Harry,

This is a very important point. Taking a few minutes to review the highlights of the previous class, can give students an opportunity to ask for further clarity and it can help them in retaining information for exams or quizzes. Generally, an instructor has to provide extra time for the previous course recap, because five planned minutes (for the activity) can easily turn to a 30 minute discussion.

Tremayne Simpson

I outline the material I plan on covering in class too. I find it helps the students stay focused when they can visualy see what we are doing. Also, if a student needs to leave early, they are already aware of the work they are going to miss.

Angela,

In addition, outlining the material in class can also serve as a topical reminder for the instructor. An instructor may forget about a topic that was listed to be covered and generally students will remind them about it.

Tremayne Simpson

It is important, while fresh in your mind, to make notes at the end of the lesson. What went well? What needs changing?

Linda,

I agree. In addition, instructors should make notes of "student reaction" to presented lecture material and activities.

Tremayne Simpson

I think it is very important to go over the material on the lesson plan that the students will be covering so that they can prepare themselves for the course and what they will be expected to learn.

Ranee,

I agree. In addition, it is a great idea to review the accompanying learning objective (with each assignment), so that the students will be aware of how the assignment/project is aligned with the expectations of the class.

Tremayne Simpson

That is a good idea. I have the students restate the objectives at the conclusion of the lesson and then as them if they feel that they have learned each one sufficiently.

Sign In to comment