Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Watch that CLOCK!

AS an instructor in a culinary program we have to get through the demos and production set by the syllabus. When I say watch that clock - you have to do that or you are not going to get the info covered for them to be able to be successful in the next class. I keep it very light in my class and tell stories, jokes and experiences BUT I do tell them that if we are getting slowed down by anything that I will have to cut things short and that they are more than welcome to stay after to discuss question of confirm anything they are unsure of telling them to WRITE IT DOWN so that they remember later.

I teach a lot of multi media design so I can relate to timing demos and lectures. What have you found useful when dealing with complex functions that require a lot of time to explain?

William,

I have generally taught, lecture-based courses, therefore my approach may be a little different. In order to limit that amount of time lecturing, I have found more success in allowing student subgroups to present certain chapters. In this role, I act as a facilitator and provide clarity or additional elaboration, after each group has presented their assigned topic.

Tremayne Simpson

Tremayne,

I have used this approach as well, and it has been very successful. I refer to them as teachbacks. It gives students a chance to interact with one another and discuss their interpretation of the content amongst one another, creating a great peer-to-peer learning experience.

Tremayne,

I have to watch the clock when I lecture or delivering any content. But, when I use teachbacks I put time limits on my students as well. This also gets them in the practice of removing the "fluff" and giving eachother important information, rather than just dictating what was already stated in their section. I also like to put students into groups to come up with questions to ask me, from their section. I call it "Quiz the Teacher". Students always like to challenge our knowledge, but it's a good way to spark discussions from both ends of the spectrum, and see what is ACTUALLY important. They really respond well to "quizzing" me!

Sara,

I like the "Quiz the Teacher" idea. It serves as a great assessment, because they will have to do research and be cognizant of the course topic, in order to develop a good line of questions.

Tremayne Simpson

YES...as an instructor I have to be very mindful of the time. to ensure that I cover all necessary info that is required for that day.

Sign In to comment