Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping them engaged

Keeping the students engaged in the classroom is very important. I always be sure to be real, up front, and to the point in my classes. To me that clears the air for any misunderstandings in the beginning.

Casey,

I agree. Building credibility is a constant task for instructors and being transparent with students can assist with that effort.

Tremayne Simpson

I think it is important to be upfront andreal with your students. However my question is I have a diverse age group and keeping them all engaged at the same tiem can be difficult. Any suggestions?

Traci,

This is a common issue with career college instructors. I generally try to assign collaborative activities, in which older and younger students can work in a group together. Although the interactions may seem "awkward" early on, I have found that there is a common appreciation for the differences in experience. After a couple of these activities, the interactions (between older and younger students) seem to become normal.

Tremayne Simpson

I agree!

I feel collaborative activities; with older and younger students working in a group is also helpful since that mirrors the current real world for most industries.

I have worked in the graphic design field over 20 years. I currently teach at a career college and have been teaching here 7 years.

In the graphic design field there is a wide variety of ages and experience. So mixing classes in groups as described is much like the industry they are preparing to enter. So I can see great value in collaborative activities.

Danielle,

Once the students are able to get past their "physical" age differences, they typically can find some common ground and begin to learn from each other.

Tremayne Simpson

I teach Algebra, and I've found that IF I can merge the lesson with at least something that they are using, they respond much better. For example, I lecture on the formula for a straight line, so I talk a little about how lines are use in website software and architectural software, as the underlying components of what they use. Today's students use high level software, and never had to learn about maching code, lower level languages and computer hardware like I did. A few words on that allow them to show a little more in depth knowledge when they need or want to talk to software developers of their packages as they use them. This gains them respect, and also can be helpful when they interview for a job.

Donald,

I am familiar with this approach. I teach General Education courses at a design school, therefore it is important that I find "connnections" with their school major. Once they are able to see the "connection", they are usually more engaged with the course content.

Tremayne Simpson

I am an instructor at a business college. I have several students who read their texts. Any strategies?

I teach court reporting. I try to tell them stories of our graduates to keep them motivated.

Mary,

Are you referring to the students reading "text messages" on their phones or "textbooks"?

Tremayne Simpson

I agree Casey. Keeping students engaged from day to day does help to avoid misunderstanding.

I always make it clear that I don't expect them to give me their respect, I will work to earn it. Likewise, I expect them to conduct themselves in a manner worthy of my respect. Keeping it credible, transparent, forthright and focused. Right away everyone knows where they stand, that I am talking to them as individuals, not a group: lots of eye contact. Then through out the lesson I like to vary the delivery of the curriculm: verbal, visual, demonstrations. Change things up on a regular basis, hitting the material from a number of different angles.

David,

I agree with your methods for keeping students engaged. Providing basic framework for respect and trust, can go along way with establishing a positive relationship with your students.

Tremayne Simpson

Because of the different learning styles and comprehension level, I always ask for patience from the class as I present information. I remind them that each student brings something to the learning experience or table, and I try to ensure everyone gets as much as possible, by slightly varying my teaching style according to class reaction. This is a quick adaptation method I learned. It works well if you are well verse on the subject matter.

I recommend a set of rules that you can give everyone in the syllabus. This can be as general as requiring students to come to class on time, or as specific as requiring students to turn off phones in class. By putting the rules up front, you require students to follow directions from the beginning on.

Benjamin,

I agree that it is important to add a policies/rules page to the course syllabus. It is also important for instructors to follow their own designated policies, for all situations. Once students perceive that their are policy exceptions for certain students, they will begin to challenge the expectations that have been set forth.

Tremayne Simpson

Yes, I have the same problem with students texting and reading their text messages.Also I am a nursing instructor and if I am asking them questions like medical terminologies,they will use their cell phones and google the answer. Is that acceptable in the classroom?

Sign In to comment