Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

timing your presentation

I found that the only way to get your timing down is by doing the presentation over and over again, fine tuning it so to speak.

Choppy,

I agree with your point. Practice is important, however instructors must also provide time for any "spontaneous" events taht may occur during lecture. These events could be: students provide "off-topic" examples, questioning or overall student participation.

Tremayne Simpson

Tremayne,
That is so true. As an instructor, I encourage my students to ask questions and participate. This let's me know if they understand the information or not.

Sylinda Brown, MBA

Sylinda,

Yes, sometimes discussion in a lecture forum can prove to be more of an assessment tool, than a formal exam. It also lets you know if you need to clarify a topic or provide more example for comprehension.

Tremayne Simpson

After teaching the same material over and over, you really can get the timing down. Practice practice practice.

Unexpected occurances are not limited to student questions or discussions.
There can be equipment malfunctions, or unplanned interruptions.
Being prepared ahead of time and knowing how to trouble shoot technical problems (or where to go for help) is a plus in helping to facilitate the smooth flow of the class.

Michele ,

I agree. A rule of thumb for all instructors...if you are using a new technological device or technology in general, it is a good idea to arrive in class early to make sure that it works properly. In several obsevations, I have seen the visual frustration (from students) as they wait for their instructor to "troubleshoot" their presentation.

Tremayne Simpson

That is a very good idea, but you caan never be sure. If the students ask alot of questions the you might run out of time. If you do not ask any qusetions then you might run short. It is always a good idea to have something just in case the timing is off.

Katie,

Excellent point. Ideally, the instructor must take on an active facilitation role during the discussion, in that they are able to provide guidelines for student participation and provide "transitional" statements, in cases where time is running short.

Tremayne Simpson

Sign In to comment