Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

desired learning outcome

I have been using what we term as a "desired learning outcome" IE: what is expected to be learned from a particuler segment of the lesson plan? then we discuss the end result in order to gather input from the students actively involved in the course curriculem.

raymond,

This sounds like an effective strategy. Once you have gathered the student input, do you immediately make revisions to the course curriculum for that same term or for the next term of study?

Tremayne Simpson

the desired learning outcome is based on the present curriculem, no changes are normally made unless 1.) the curriculem changes or 2.) if their happens to be errors discovered upon going over the details in the desired learning outcome with the students.

I use a similar method in evaluating my presentation of course material. I try to measure the students' comprehension through exams and quizzes and then modify areas of delivery as needed. This is more of a global approach to my lecture design. On a more daily (time permitting) basis I make notes on what works and what does not work when delivering material to the students. IE Maybe I thought a list was appropriate when really a flow chart or graphic would have helped the students' compehension. I always assume that the reason why material is not clearly understood is my 'fault' then I look to other factors in and out of my control that might be weighing in on my classes.

William,

In many cases, student comprehension is based on their individual learning style. I generally provide periodic surveys to my students (informal), just to make sure that my instructional methods are conducive to their learning. Sometimes I get excellent suggestions and make the necessary "tweaks".

Tremayne Simpson

Sign In to comment