Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Inadequate Backgrounds

The instructor has to help the students to succeed in meeting the requirements of the programs. Lowering the requirements does not prepare them for future successes.

I don't think lowering it is the answer but by knowing their back ground you will have a better understanding of how to appraoch them.

Hi Deborah:
I'm in a medical profession so it makes sense to me that entrance requirements are examined carefully o ensure only the most qualified applicants make the cut to enrollment.

In vocational schools, the challenge of keeping the doors open (and our salaries) by meeting admission goals complicates the teetering balance between enrollments vs. qualitfied students.

Fortunately, many professions have external accreditation, licensing, and credentialing standards that help reinforce the higher standards needed in medical programs.

Regards, Barry

Hi Kathy:
Right! It kind of all ties together. As instructors, the better we know and understand ourselves, we're better able to assist students. By using a variety of media choices, we give students with differing learning styles a better opportunity to catch on. Our delivery can make a difference if we're enthusiastic, creative, informative and interesting in our approach.

All of these factors work together to build a environent that is most conducive to learning, and where classes are fun and enjoyable to attend.

Regards, Barry

Sometimes it seems that we(post-secondary)have been the dumping ground for the public school system. It is discourging when I find the students that just don't have the basic skills needed to step out into the world. Sad.

Absolutely! It becomes challenging for an instuctor(post-secondary) to move on with the course content when students cannot process the material properly. The lack of basic skills like reading & math makes it fustrating & discouraging to the student as well as the instructor.

Yes Deborah you are right especially in the medical profession having the right aptitude to get the material and graduate to be in the medical world is important.Even if schools are trying to meet enrolment goals it important to remember that some fields require a higher mental capacity because life and death can be involved.

I couldn't agree more. As a chef, I have the responsibility to train the candidates to meet a baseline standard. I will assist you in meeting your goals but I cannot force you. I will not lower the standard because it is disrespectful to all those who rose to the occasion and made it.

Hi James:
It's true - but in vocational education, part of our mission is to take all who come our way (if they meet admission requirmnts). But it is a challenge.

Regards, Barry

Hi Eva:
Yeah, wouldn't it bewondeful if every student was at least marginally prepared and capable of learning the material in the lesson.

Regards, Barry

Hi Christopher:
Vocational education is America's great opportunity for lesser students to really shine and succeed at something when other avenues have been closed.

I say given the opportunity, because not all will rise to th occasion. But some will, and they may not have been the best students earlier in life. These students want to change their lives for the better and we are the ones providing that chance.

Regards, Barry

I was amazed and surprised, when I started teaching in the community colleges, at the poor grammar and spelling of the students that had graduated from high school or even had a degree in another subject. Since I was in health care I thought it was not my place to correct their spelling and grammar. But, because students were going into a health care profession it became essential that they have adequate grammar and spelling. The reason is because they have to document patient progress in the medical record. It must appear professional and some medical records end up in court if there is a lawsuit involved. When I graded their papers and projects I would highlight misspelled words and inappropriate sentences. They had to correct the errors and turn their papers back in if they wanted a grade. So, I found myself being part English teacher and part health care instructor.

Hi Kathryn:
Unfortunately I think many vocational instructors find themselves in a similar situation. It can very frustrating. Often there isn't enough time to teach all of the required curriculum, and add to that English and grammar as well.

Incorporating mini lessons and grammar rules such as you've described seems to be a very pragmatic approach to dealing with the situation. I'm sure the student's benefit from your expectations, and ultimately, their job supervisors will to.

Regards, Barry

I'm in the medical profession as well. In my opinion, my school doesn't have high enough standards for students entering the program. I have brought this up in a meeting, and have suggested that the program director be involved in the interviewing/acceptance process.

I have come across the same thing as a clinical instructor at a technical college! My students have daily essay homework as well as a term paper, and the fact that adults in my class have such poor spelling & grammar has blown my mind! I have had to become an English teacher also, because we're in the medical field, too. The further we get in their program, the more points I deduct for these errors, especially if I'm repeatedly correcting the same mistakes over & over. They misspell medical terms & everyday words, lack use of proper punctuation, have poor grammar, & use run-on sentences. I could understand some of this coming from kids, but not adults in their thirties!

How do you get "the powers that be" to look past the numbers and understand this important fact?!

Hi Stephanie:
There may be some things that can help.

If there are any accrediting bodies, licensing, credentialing, certification, or requirements expected by employers, these standards can be used to help establish minimum entry requirements.

Another source is your advisory committee (if one exists). Usually made up of employers and community persons with some influence, if suggestions come from discussions in these meetings, those can be shared with you upper school administration.

If you can get approval to establish certain class or program standards, then, even if less than fully qulified individuals begin your class, they might not make it to the end.

In the end, vocational schools attract individuals who ma have less than wonderful past academic experiences, or none at all. They come to us for job training. Just as in the work setting, you'll find good workers who know what they're doing, and...let's just say "others". So it is in vocational school training, as well.

Regards, Barry

Hi Stephanie:
Good for you. In vocational schools there's a balance in meeting the bottom line and providing quality education. Often, it's the teacher that has to take responsibibility for providing that quality, because of the caliber of student they have to deal with.

Prescreening might help some. I'm in agreement with you. But I'll also share that in my program I can accept or deny applicants. SOmetimes you get students who are good academically but behavioral difficulties begin to emerge. Or, the student is not the brightest bulb in the room, and they struggle, but their heart is right, they try hard, and these ones makes the teacher want to work with them to try to get them to succeed.

The of course you have the meathead who is academically weak, displays childish behavior, disrupts class, andunless they do something awful, they manage to scape by. Thoses are the ones that make leaving teaching attractive.

Regards, Barry

Unfortuately that is the comon scenario in this day and age. Students are leaving high school unprepared and expecting to go on to college and a career lacking at times even the most basic of knowledge. Spelling and grammer have been seriously negelected.

Hi Stephanie:
Backgrounds vary, and your example exemplifies the need for tougher admission or enrollment standards for certain professional programs, medical being among them.

Since many programs are taught in the vocational school setting, there's that balance between enrollment goals, and quality of student accepted. Some programs have asked their advisory committee's to put basic standards forth in hopes that'll add some validation to program faculty who want to raise standards.

Also, if there are accreditation, licensing, or credentialing standards, these can be cited in order to try to convince the adminstration of the importance of maintaining certain basic skills at admission for these professions.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment