Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pretesting

By pretesting, the student and instructor can find a base line of knowledge and a starting point for learning. This will also tell the strengths and weaknesses for improvement.

Hi Richard:
Pretesting is a great idea and can be a terrific tool to measure both knowledge and improvement in knowledge as well. A lot of instructors are reluctant to spend the time needed to put together pretests. But those that do often find how valuable this tool can be.

Regards, Barry

Sometimes it can shorten where you spend lecture time because students already have a base knowledge of the subject at hand. That way you can spend more time in the areas that are needed.

Hi John:
You're right - there is good rationale for for pretesting with emphasis on the essential information students will need to know in order to satisfactorily possess their student learning objectives for the course.

Regards, Barry

I feel at every level of education their should be pretesting done on students to get a base line where the instructor stands with the student

Hi Ronald:
Pretesting can be a very effective tool to detrermine what stronger and weaker areas a student begins the course with. Not all institutions allow for pretesting. If it is allowed, then the instructor has a great opportnuity to learn something about his/her students.

Regards, Barry

Pre-test can be used to give the instructor an honest assessment of a student’s knowledge level.Pre-tes content can be evaluated by the students to eliminate surprises or unneeded anxiety.

Hi Peter;
There are many positive outcomes frome pretesting. One thing is it telegraphs to the students what kind of tester an instructor is and to some degree, how future tests may appear. It also lets the instructor know where their students are at academically in preparation for beginning a class.

Regards, Barry

We should do pretesting for the first core course in all programs offered. This would be a great way to measure progression of learning for any given program. Pretests with mid and capstone experiences would prove to be solid measurements of student learning -- summative learning assessments. We do not do pre-tests at all -- something we should seriously consider and implement.

Hi Julia:
I agree - pretesting is a great idea! It really should be utilized more that it seems to be at present.

Regards

This is a good way to let the students get a brief description of the material we are going to cover. It could also get them over there fear of pop quiz's.

Hi Rochelle:
I use pretesting as a planning tool to helpo me tweak the course based on where the students pre-course learning level is. I think it helps get the student excited about coming events too.

Regards, Barry

I've found that using the final exam from the "101" class useful in gauging my students level of retention of the fundamentals.

Hi Nathan:
Not a bad gauge as long as the unit or course objectives are assessed and the questiuons are related to the course. I like your idea too becaause it's pretty basic and not too much preparation has to be done to see where your students are performing.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment