Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Winston:
Yes, the challenge is to find ways to keep it interesting. Guests, field trips, demonstrations, discussions, games, team challenges, student teaching - just a few ideas that might be helpful.

Regards, Barry

I think that students who are interested in the content will be more willing to pay attention to the skills or knowledge or concepts that are being presented to them.

Hi Anis:
Yes, that's true. We can also do all we can to make a class interesting and more enjoyable. Efforts along this path can contribute to students beginning to pay more attention because their interested. One good method is to frequently refer back to the vocation or occupation they're studying for. Thaty helps keep the focus and also provides a good reason the student will want to pay attention for - there's something in it for them.

Regards, Barry

I agree about giving real world examples, but keeping to a few per class. Too many real life stories students feel like it is all about you and not them. Keep it short and to the point you are trying to make.

Yvonne,
Yes, just telling stories all class period without any "meat" is not good, nor what I suggest or hope haven't implied. Students need to learn, there are many ways to convey information, and a story is just one of the many ways that can be accomplished.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment