Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Victoria:
Good observation. What is important is your point emphasizes that all students can benefit from our efforts if we're willing to spend a bit of extra time to tailor the lessons. Not everyone is interested in taking the time. Glad to hear you are.

Regards, Barry

I think that pre-testing is good for the student and teacher. If there is anything that the students misunderstood then the teacher can review the material.

Hi Rory:
Another good reason for doing pre-testing is it allows the instructor help define where the the class lesson is headed and what the students can expect from teacher that day.

Regards, Barry

very good idea

Hi Mark:
There are a lot of variations to the pre-testing concept. In the best of settings, it can be very effective in adding to the student's comprehension of a daily lesson or topic.

Regards, Barry

I feel pre-testing is as important as instruction. When a pre-test is given it give the instructor an honest assessment of a student’s knowledge level. And I would like to use it more in our environment.

Hi Charles:
I think pretesting could be integarted into almost every kind of lesson. Used correctly, it provides an measure of learning completed, and can stimulate students interest in the material (kind of like "previews of coming attractions").

Regards, Barry

I like the idea of giving a pretest. I currently ask the students at our first meeting to tell me what experience they have with the subject material for the course. This gives me an idea of who might need additional assistance in class or lab. I would like to try a pretest along with the question to see if the results are different then what I expect.

Hi Mark:
Yes - pretesting tells you something about where your students are at in their knowledge of a given subject, and also lets the students see a glimpse of "coming attractions".

Regards, Barry

Pre-testing has several uses. It is a tool to screen qualified applicants to the school/career college. It identifies students that could benefit from or want remedial courses prior to admission into the regular student body. It also, as you mentioned, shows coming attractions and highlights of the course.

Hi Lanny:
Yes, generally speaking, I think all students would probly perform better if any assessment they were required to take was preceded by pre-testing - there are many benefits associated with positive student outcomes and pre-testing.

Regards, Barry

I think pre-testing and post-testing both have positive effects.

Hi Shawn:
Pretesting offers an advantage to students to get a sense how the test might appear and also what items might appear. I don't think this does much for critical thinking, but it seems to contribute to students knowing the material that may be on a test.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment