Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I think that learning about your students helps you to know what level they are at and what areas may be easy or difficult for them. It also makes the students feel that you are interested in them as an individual. It gives me a connection with them. I also may get some insight to their personal life and can understand what is going on when personal distractions affect the student. Usually, on the first day of class, I will discuss with the students a little bit about their background and talk about their interests, etc.

Hi Deborah:
Different instructors do it different ways, but anytime an instructor can spend quality time alone with a student, that's going to stregthen the relationship and assist the student in better performance. Discussion can be both surface personal (just to get to know one another), or related to the course study material. Of course, the enemy of this important strategy is time - where to find enough of it to be consistently available.

Regards, Barry

I interview them before externship class, help to understand and learn about their intentions

Hi Kenji:
Good. Getting to know your students helps you in undersatnding their special needs and the students get to relate to you on a 1-to-1 basis.

Regards, Barry

It is a wonderful thing when our students trust us enough to open up to us. I do something similar with my students. I have found that when my students trust that I have their success at heart they will focus more and be in class on time. All it really takes is a teacher that is willing to give their students the opportunity to share some of their lives.

Hi Debbie:
I like your comments. That personal touch really doesn't take that much longer. I'd agree that not all want to get "warm and fuzzy", but it doesn't have to be really deep, just common courtesy, respect, interest, and `compassion.

Regards, Barry

On our very first day with the students for their orientation, we do a learning style inventory. The students find out their results and then the instructors also get a break down of how each individual student learns. It has proven successful.

Brenda,
I do this at orientation as well. It's a fun exercise and most students are interested in what their particular style dominates. I record the results and use the information throughout the entire program if students need tutoring, remediation, or assistance with specific parts of curriculum.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment