Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

different students

different students learn at different rates be prepared!!

Hi Troy:

Well, you're absoultely correct about how students learn. But how do you go about getting prepared in your particular area of instruction? A good back up plan will be both accessible under most any situation and applicable to the general topic.

You'll want to avoid just having something students spend time on without real learning. That'd just be a waste of time.

Regards, Barry

Barry, I teach motorcycle technitions,to have customer service skills. When some students don't want to be in this particular class in the first place it's hard to get them motivated. When I work with ages ranging from 18-60, Deaf,Handicaped and troubled students. It's rough to keep to any plan. Alot of times WE just roll with the flow, But still get the needed information across to everyone.

Hi Troy:

I understand the challenges you allude to. Sometimes the diversity of the class can be harnessed to assist with meeting your lesson plan goals.

Your commitment to wanting to make a difference can be truly inspiring. I wish you the best of luck.

Regards, Barry

I teach Equine Dentistry (yes...horses really do need dental work) and I have found the rate at which a student learns depends on the passion they have for the industry. This is a very physical course and if the love for what your doing and the animals you are working with isn't there, your not going to learn the skills needed to be the best. This can be seen in the field by what we refer to as "good" dentists and "not so good" dentists. The passion and drive has to come from within the student. You can have the very best instructors in the world but if the student doesn't really have the passion to learn the field, they are going to learn differently.

Hi Randy:
Well, mostly you're talking about student motivation. I think any way that we can assess - and impact motivation is ultimately going to result in better results. And of course, that passion thing works both ways (instructor and student). Imagine the awful situation where your instructors were unmotivated and dispassionate about their jobs and vocation. Ick! Probably wouldn't be around long anyway.

Regards, Barry

I have found that if I develop a study guide for a new class I am teaching it helps me as a instructor get through the material, helps my students with knowing what is important and what they should learn, and also gives them a sense of their own skill level and what areas they feel they need help with.

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer:
Good idea! I'm a bullet-point kind of person, even in my own note taking. I will list key points with major subheadings. There is still a lot of "meat" that needs to be covered and is not listed, but, like you, I fill it in with discussion, activities, or exercises from the text. It's really more of a guide for me to be sure I cover necessary and extra information I want to present.

Regards, Barry

I also go with the flow. I teach medical assisting and I noticed that when I have twenty year olds and forty year olds in the same class it is sometimes a problem. Alot of the older students tend to be annoyed by the younger students maturity level. what I choose to do is break it down to where everyone can understand. I try to be on the same level so the student no matter what age can relate.

Rebecca:
In Judo, they teach the participants to use the agressive force that's coming against a person in a positive manner, rather exerting resistance to combat the force (that's why little people can throw large people to the ground almost effortlessly).

You mention going with the flow. Similar concept. Take the students and lead them collectively down the path you want, using the experiences of the older ones to give examples, and using the younger ones to learn ask questions (i.e, using the force of both to achieve your results). Both have something to offer. Use that age disparity for good. Lesser teachers will try to teach everyone the same - that's just not going to work, especially with the age disparities many of our classes consist of.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment