Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To much time.

Even though some of my students do tend to finish there assignments early it gives me a chance to have them go back to a lab and instead of just doing the the lab,now i ask them to get more in depth and more advanced in there research. So in stead of just finding the problem i might ask them to find the cause of the problem.

Yes. I think that is a great strategy for filling time and it also delivers a higher level of education and thought process.

Hi Tim:

This is an excellent way to enhance the learning process. When we talk about critical thinking this could be cited as a method to encourage and achieve that goal.

Great idea.

Regards, Barry Westling

Hi Dave:

As with Tim, engaging students this way does embrace the tenents of critical thinking and perhaps higher achievement.

Regards, Barry Westling

Great strategy!

Finding the problem is a good start, but if that is all the slower students are learning, it might be a good idea to revamp the lesson. In a technical field, fixing the problem will only lead to a come-back for the technician, as the cause is still there. Finding the cause of the problem should be the lesson. If the cause is found and repaired, then there will not be a come-back. I have the more advanced students perform an actual repair on a training aid that either has a known bug or an unknown problematic condition. This will add to their sense of accomplishment. If the training aid had a known bug that was repaired by a student, it can always be "re-broken" by the instructor again.

Hi Michael:
It's true that students learn at different paces. Structuring technical classes that allow involvement by all of the students (slower ones and faster ones) would be ideal. Usually, the faster learners are going to require less supervisory time. But that's good because it allows the instructor to spend more time with the slower ones who need more guidance.

That's not to say we want to ignore the faster learners. They need attention, encouragement, and feedback just as much as anyone else. One way to integrate the extremes is to have your better students serve as mentors or "student aides", working under your supervision. Peer recognition is a very strong motivator. In the end, everyone benefits.

Regards, Barry

Yes. If possible i would like to have students attempt tasks that they would not normally see in the field, if they have completed all assignments early.

i like to see them finish early but it needs to be done right

having some extra time at the end of a course is good. having the students figure out the why or cause of the problem helps prepare them for easier diagnostic practices on the job

Hi David:

Extra time can be helpful as long as the students are kept busy with activitities that are related to their learning objectives. Too much time that's unaccounted for may be an indication for better planning in subsequent classes. Of course, sometimes it's difficult to pinpoint exactly how long a particular activity or lesson will take.

Regards, Barry

I have found that when I have too much time I am able to have the students practice the accumulated skills up to the skill set at the time. This , I find helps with comfort when revisiting skills out of learning sequence better preparing them for the real dental office.

Hi Marian:
I really think students can never have too much practice. If my lesson runs short, I like you, fill it with alternate activities that are related to the topic. Parctice and demonstration are always great time fillers because they help the stonger students perfect (and those weaker students watching) needed skills. There can also be "a review", discussion, Q&A, etc. Sometimes if there's extra time, I also like to go back to previously covered material to assess how retention is holding up.

Regards, Barry

I've had situations where some students have greatly outpaced others. In these instances I will allow time for a group project which not only lets the more advanced students assist the ones that are struggling, but it also helps with teamwork skills.

Just be cautious to make sure that all of the work isn't being done by only some of the students.

Hi Joseph:
You are illustrating that it might be a good idea to have a back-up activity or two for this type of situation, or how about to use regardless? It would certainly break up the flow and possibly renew interest in the topic.

Regards, Barry

My student who complete chapters early I have assist other student who are having difficulty. Gives the students a chance to be the teacher and shows them how much they learned and retained.

Hi Paul:

One technique that may work well is to divide up the students into groups, and have each group research one section of the subject matter, then have each group present to the whole class.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment