Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Training Students

Its great to share my experiences with students to help give them ideas about the specific things they will encounter in their desired career choice.

Leslie,
Students like stories and hearing about work situtaions. I do this with students seem disengaged. It seems to get everyones attention. Then I can go back to the current lesson.

Barry Westling

Students are more actively engaged in learning when they understand how the learning applies to them personally. In sharing "real world" experiences, students can begin to apply what they are learning in the classroom to prepare for the future.

Sherry,
You're right. I think one thing most instructors bring to the classroom is experience - sometimes a lot. And that is something most students do not possess. So we come already prepared with built in resources the students could never really get from any other resource except us!

Barry Westling

I agree, when you can tell them how it realy is in the work field. From your work experince, it makes a big diffrence.

Ronnie,
Most of us were intially hired based on our past experience, training and education, and kowledge of the profession. Sharing the cumulative talents we have is a great way to capture students attention and give them a comprehensive educational experience.

Barry Westling

I think that sharing personal experiences not only helps give your students ideas about what they will experience in their career choice but it also will help allay some of their fears about what's out in the real world. It may also make you seem more approachable as an educator.

Charlene,
You're right. It's interesting, students like stories. And that's also the foundation of the Socratic method of teaching as well. Past work situations, unusual or interesting circstances, or just verbalizing about the work setting will nearly always be received well.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment