Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Selecting instructional delivery methods

I teach court reporting students, so applying
knowledge to skill is a very important part
of their learning process.
The message must be delivered through demonstration, total hands on. In the delivery,
the steps must be organized and the presentation
must be clean ( a clear understanding ). This is
an area of learning where it's a tough call if
the student will benefit from either instructional method mentioned. If I had to choose, I would probably choose the overhead.

Hi Ceola:
As the SME (subject mattr expert), we have the responibility to choose what delivery method will best reach our students. Often, and I would encourage this, we should should a blend of media to keep the students attention, make the class more interesting, and to stimulate different learning styles. Keeping students active and thinking will help them retain information. So I would choose media that ehance this activity.

Regards, Barry

I use power point for material that contains a large number of specific definitions or detailed information as opposed to material that is of a more theoretical nature. I also give students power point handouts so that they can focus on the material rather than note taking.

Hi Hilda:
With PPT handouts, defitions may one good example where giving handoutsis useful. Some times it is not useful because students may read ahead and lose attention, or no take notes because they believe they have all the information they need.

For me, with a few exceptions, PPT works best to convey general bullet-point ideas that I can expand on in a lecture or discussion format. Trying to provide all of thenecessary information makes for too many slides, too busy slides, or poorly formatted slides.

I would prefer to uses other media along with PPT (such as white board, handouts, textbook) all with the lights on and lively discussion.

Regards, Barry

I teach The clinical Aspect so the Instructional
delivery method is hands on as well as competency practicum

Grace Haines
National College
Dayton ohio

it depends on what class you are teaching if it is hands on clinicals you have to do competencies that is a work product
Grace haines
Dayton ohio

Hi Grace:
Media selections should be based in part on the student learning objectives and student learning outcomes. Choices should also include the best methods to eggectively convey information to students in a way they can relate to. Variety and involvement are very important.

Regards, Barry

Hi Grace:
Practicing through repetition and guided direction results in mastery of skills. Not every student attains mastery fully, but with these two ingredient's, it's not likely happen any other way.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment