Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

POWER POINT

USE POWER POINT EVERY CHANCE YOU CAN,IT IS STATE OF THE ART TEACHING.

Hi Bruce:
PPT's do add a lot to certain class presentations, but not all. If students are not engaged they will feel lost or disinterested even if there is an illuminated lesson in front of them. We have to think of PPT as a tool and not rely on it as the focus.

As discussed in the course lessons there are methods to enhance and techniques to avoid when using PPT.

Regards, Barry

I use powerpoints just about everyday. I think it is a great way to touch on the really important points of subjects that are being taught. I also make a note of the important points and email the information to each student portal for their study use as well as reading the chapters.

I agree 100% with you Chef Liles, this is a very good idea, thank you for sharing with us.

Chef Baet

I actually tend to disagree with the "state of the art teaching" comment. PPT has been around for years and hasn't changed, but technology changes about every year to year and a half. There are SO many more "state of the art teaching" medias out there, yet sadly they are not being used and many teachers just stick with PPT instead of using the new technology.

Hi Amanda:
As stated in a related post regarding PPT, it is a tool. Reliance on the tools will not assure students learn anything. There can be very good PPT's, and `that's great. There can also be poorly wriiten slides that miss the mark.

Yes, I agree that instructors have a dearth of media resources to select from when planning lessons. Yes, it takes a little extra effort to construct good lessons with varied media. That may be what separates an outstanding instructor from just mediocre.

Regards, Barry

Power points are good. I try to use demonstrations also to poll in the other students with different learning styles.

Hi Rory:
Good use of variety. Of course, PPT and demonstration assess two diiferent legarding domains; that is, Cognitive (PPT), and Kinesthetic (demonstration). That said, there's nothing wrong with mixing up the the pace of the class with multiple learning strategies to keep things lively and interesting. It helps solidify the learning.

Regards, Barry

Powerpoint presentations are an effective use of today's technology. It allows students to capture the main idea while allowing the ability to elaborate on items in question.

i dont think so power point should be used as a tool to aid in the teaching not to do the teaching

Hi Mark:
You're right, PPT is only a tool and should not really steal the spotlight from from the daily or lesson topic. Good PPT's can add a lot if prepared correctly.

Regards, Barry

yes i agree with that espically when dealing with electricial diagrams to show power flow and ground locations and how the circuit flows and what controls it.

Hi Anthony.
You're right - it does seem that certain kinds of topics are ideal candidates for using PPT presentions with. Still, mixing it up with other media choices can also contribute more.

Regards, Barry

every lectute that I have gone to in the last 11years is all about power point I feel their should be more training for older people a how to make goog powere point lectures!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ronald:
Microsoft provided a real double-edged sword when it introduced PPT to consumers and educators. On one hand, it provides a very user friendly method of easily producing professional looking slides. On the otherhand, there are many "tricks and clicks" that often do get passed on unless someone takes a class or two, stays current, and rehaerses by producing many slides on a regular, ongoing basis. Truly, to be good at anything takes practice, sometimes, quite a bit.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment