Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

delivery methods

make sure you try to deliver the information to all 4 learning styles if at all possible

Hi Troy:

Yes trying to deliver the information to all 4 learning styles if at all possible is a good idea. However, completing that task often proves to be a bit more difficult.

For instance, how do you modify your lessons; how do you learn your students preferences, how do you customize your lessons to meet the individual students need. These are just a few of the challenges.

Can you think of any others?

Regards, Barry

Power Point slides often provide an instructor the means to present material that will appeal to all learning styles as they use sounds and visuals and can also contain hyperlinks to exercises students can do as well as ask questions that require students to respond before the next slide is shown as the next slide contains the answer.

Hi Nandan:

You’re right, that in well prepared sides and lessons, PPT’s can be a visually superior learning experience. Some drawbacks to consider are too much information (both on a given slide and just too many slides for one presentation), unless structured so little opportunity for student interaction, slide timing may be too fast or slow for a given student; it’s possible certain colors, backgrounds, or images may “turn off” some students; and finally, it’s not difficult for a student to just tune out while the presentation is going on.

None-the-less, in most cases, when used judiciously, PPT presents information in a superior format compared to many other traditional delivery mediums.

Regards, Barry

I totally agree with you that PP presentation can very an excellent media but has its on draw backs as you said about too much information. I use this media depending on the class I have and the capacity of the students to absorb the information. I usually this media to review the chapter when all information has been given and they are tested, so as to get an idea where they stand and what more can I do to get the information through.

Hi Mohammed:
Yes, PPT's are especially good for course, lesson, or topic reviews, as the bullet-point format lends itself to summary type of information. Also, better PPT presentations have the students interacting along with the instructor, rather than just viewing the information.

Regards, Barry

Great point! I use this strategy as well. The questions are posted on one slide, giving the students an opportunity to respond before the correct answers are displayed on the next slide.

Time and resources are always challenges with the adult learner as well.

Hi Patrick:
Whatever method we use we want to make sure it's appropriate for the target audience and assists with rather than interes with the learning process. This is especially true with the adult learner.

Regards, Barry

I try to have two versions of my powerpoint presentations. One is far more detailed, an instructor version which helps with standardizing the information taught in several classes. The other version is less detailed and made accesable to the students ahead of the lecture times. Students can print it out and have guided notetaking session.

Hi Christine:
I can see see how that activity mihjt take a little extra time, but I think it's a terrific way for students to track with you and your more comprehensive PPT's! Great idea.

Regards, Barry

Setting is key. Is it noisy in the area? What is the lighting like? Comfortable chairs? Small room.

Technology -- Do you have outdated equipment (old overheads).

Robert:
Environmental factors like you've decribed seem like small things, but when student's are uncomfortable, they can become big distrations to learning. Good point.

Delivery pertains to how we present and how our presentation is received. Voice, tone, affect, eye contact contribute a lot. Choice of media too. A great lecture with a poor PPT (or the reverse) can interfere with the lesson. One thing I try to do is view what I have planned from the point of view of the student. Surprisingly (after many, many years of teaching), I still will make last minure changes realizing making a small change will be better for the students and the lesson for the day.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment