Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of the methods I have used is to read the slide and ask them what it means and go into a discussion about it. I find that the students will let you know during the conversation what they really don't understand.

Hi Anthony:
Hey, this sounds like a good teaching method, especially if there is a lot of background information that is associated with the information depicted on the slide. It seems that method would also be especially good for review sessions.

Regards, Barry

I just started using PPTs in my class and find it very effective with student learning and keeping the lecture on track.

Hi Shawn:
You've described one benefit to PPT's - organized slides of needed information. Caution has to be exercised in avoiding PPT overload.

Regards, Barry

We have found that using power points for our longer lectures helps to keep the students attention longer.

Hi Sara:
PPT's can be a wonderful adjunct to teaching. There are pitfalls as well. Too much information or presentations that run too long are likely to lose some students. Unless some degree of effort goes into preparing PPT's, they can less than enjoyable to view. A big consideration with PPT is to remember it is just a tool, just like the overhead, whiteboard, flipchart, or other related media delivery techniques. We want to emphasize information on the slide, not call attention to the media providing the information.

I think what works well is a blend of media where there's a mixture of say, whiteboard, PPT, discussion, demonstration, group work, etc. Students retain more when there is some variety, and the more senses we can involve in their learning, and the more engaged we can make for them - I think these make for an improved learning environment.

Regards, Barry

Great idea, never tried it before.
I will.

Hi Anis:
This can work, although some students (in the center rows) will get some glare from the LCD projector. But if the slide is viewed on the white board, you can use colored pens to write on, near, or alongside a graphic or chart or similar information to add contrast, emphasis, or focus.

Regards, Barry

What a great suggestion! My greatest frustration with Power point is that I want to be able to add, and circle items based on student discussion, questions and feedback. I am going to love using this. THanks!

Hi Irene:
What I have found is some graphics can be prjected onto the whiteborad for combination use with the PPT. It works fair at best, in my opinion.

The problem is glare on the white board screen, especially for students seated near the middle. There is also the blocked view of the teacher in front of the image during the drawing. Also, the teacher gets a blast of light in their eyes unless they move away from the screen, which kind of defeats the purpose (it's like standing in front of an overhead projector when there is no slide placed on it - very annoying).

Using a laser pointer can help stay to the side, rear, or front of the classroom, which can minimize the bocked view effect. Over all, for a very short period, I think this technique is useable, but not for lengthy periods.

Smart boards (white board/computer/PPT in one unit) are really the way to go, but they're so darned expensive and I've found them to be very sensitive and tricky. Almost always have to call IT tech to help solve technical problems.

Regards, Barry

While it's important to utilize a variety of teaching tools, I have found that students sometimes gloss over and mentally check out when ppt comes along. It's sometimes more difficult to get a class to discuss and participate.

with 80 % of student being visual learners, I find power points to be most effective. Why not read them and add another another 10% to the auditory learners.

Hi Irene:
Something that can help prevent losing a student when using PPT is to have a discussion about the main points before moving on to the next slide.

Regards, Barry

Hi Paul:

If using PPT, one general, all-purpose guideline to remember about using power-point is this – don’t read the slides to the students. Unless you’re deliberately trying to make a point, reading slides is the quickest way to have students tune out during the lesson.

Instead, it’s better to cover the main points on the slide, and have the students refer to the notes on their own.

Regards, Barry

I have alternated between board and powerpoint for the same reason to keep them focused. The main this is to not overwhelm with too much info and have it organized.

Hi Josefina:
I like whiteboards too. They allow me to express my individuality and spontaneous creativy more than the power point. I'm fortunate also that my classroom have a center screen with white board on either side, giving me the ability to write while the PPT goes dark for a few minutes.

Without PPT, a good technique for engagement is to find as many different ways to get students up to that board and write...whatever (whatever is pertinent to the lesson). This activity is strong and helps retention of needed information.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment