Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Preparing for class

Each class needs to be planned and exercised in a logical and clear way. I usually have handouts and in-class assignmnets each class. I make it a point to have them printed and ready for distribution before each class. I also show videos and I make it point to have tvs or flashdrives etc. all organized before the class begins.

I think a little bit of planning goes a long way to show students how to be professional and that we care about their time and success.

Asha,
It's so frustrating to plan good media or related resources only to have some technology glitch interfere. Sometimes, things happen beyond ones control. But preparation (as you've described) can provide a hedge against difficulties that are encountered during presentation. I agree students are observant about how well an instructor appears prepared for classes, and can influence how they feel about their instructor.

Barry Westling

Barry,

That is a very good point and it goes along with knowing yourself as an instructor. If something is not working, it is up to you to control the situation. If you know you get frustrated when different things happens, it is necessary for you to plan ahead to ensure any mishaps are adjusted.

Aretha

Aretha,
Yeah, we all have our buttons I guess. As professionals we should capable of controlling inappropriate conduct, behavior or language while addressing or interacting with students. We are after all, role models, and like anyone else, the impressions we make can be long lasting.

Barry Westling

When prepairing for a presentation I make sure all of my handouts are printed ahead of time so they are ready when it is time to distribute them to the class. It is very embarrassing when the printed packet is missing a page of key imformation needed to reinforce your topic. The fact that you are unaware of the missing page until the students point it out leaves the impression in the students mind that you are unprepaired.

Jerome,
We should do all we can to be prepared, and mistakes will happen even so. I notice students are forgiving if I notify them beforehand, such as "page 3 of your handout is missing, I'll get that to you". So even if a mistake happens, we should be diligent to be aware of it before -- that's also a type of preparation.

Barry Westling

I agree with planning ahead with material, but one thing I find very helpful to show the students a reward that is also planned for when they accomplish a goal. An example of this would be a field trip or fun activity that they will do. It goes a long way to motivate the students.

Cory,
Recognition is a good thing -- for students, colleagues and peers (of course, family). I used to have an Einstein rubber stamp that I would put on a quiz, next to the score, representing a good job. It was amazing to see how students worked to get that stamp...even more so than the grade or the points.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment