Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lecture

If you don't feel 100% confident in a lecture you are giving, is it ok to bring in another instructor to help with the lecture? If so, do you tell the students prior to the lecture you don't feel comfortable or do you just play it off?

Tara,
Circumstances probably dictate how this is best addressed. But I think it's always OK to tell students something like "I've asked Mr. White to present this portion of the lecture for me. Let's give him your full attention". No need to offer explanations or reasons other than to pay attention.

Barry Westling

I agree with the above comment. I do want to ask about about the lecture makes you uneasy. Is it the content or in general lecturing in front of a classroom of students?

I feel that it's always best to walk around the class and create an inclusive environment, thsi way the students are more at ease and you can relax during the lecture, if you just feel uncomfortable in the "lead" setting.

If the topic is a bit foreign to you, maybe first introduce is and let the other instructor dive further.

Cristina,
Sound advice. It seems unusual that an instructor would feel so uncomfortable so as to ask if another instructor step in. But in this forum, we have all kinds of instructors and at varying levels of teaching experience. I would hope someone would choose to get help rather than flounder and make a bigger blunder out of it all. Preparing well, gathering needed resources, and even rehearsing also are methods to help the class run smoothly.

Barry Westling

I like to use a clicker while lecturing. It allows me the freedom to walk about the classroom while still being able to move thru the slideshow on the screen. It also has a laser that I can use to bring the students attention to certain points of interest. I don't like being chained to the desk or computer! I also like to stop between slides and use trainers and props to further demonstrate the lesson to students. This helps keep them focused and keeps me interested, too. When using a guest speaker, I have no problem introducing them as an expert in the field to which they are addressing. It shows a bit of humility on my part which I think is important for students to see. It helps to earn their respect. However, I never let them see it as a sign of weakness.

Robert,
Clickers are cool, and do add a bit of variety and added involvement by students. Missed answered are corrected on the spot. That, coupled with the ability to provide discussion make for a dynamic class session.

Barry Westling

I personally would never tell my students I'm uncomfortable teaching a topic. "never let them see you sweat." this would make them lose confidence in me as an instructor.

Darlene,
Yeah, probably not a good idea, but having another "guest instructor" can be pitched to students to bring a different voice and perspective to the class, and they would probably appreciate it.

Barry Westling

I love the idea of bringing in another instructor to "help out". I often feel uncomfortable while doing lecture, not because I'm in front of the class or students, but because I always feel fearful that the students are going to ask something that I can't answer. I hate losing credibility and feeling like a fool.

Barbara,
I think a "now and again" question that can be answered with "I'm not sure, but I will find the answer and get back to you" is very normal. Having a whole topic covered by another because the instructor in not knowledgeable in the subject matter is another thing. If this were a regular occurrence, I would speak to my supervisor about readiness to teach that class.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment