Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using colored paper

The different colors of paper can really add to the student experience. It is a change of pace and emphasizes the material

Leslie,
Yes, I think anything that makes for a better learning experience, however small, is worth the effort.

Barry Westling

I use yellow paper for instructions on how to write theoretical perspective papers and blue paper for instructions on how to write reading reaction papers. The green paper works well with instructions for research-related parts of the course. The schedule is in pink and the handouts on spelling and writing rules and grammar are all on gold paper. The students find it much easier to organize their notebooks and follow along in discussions when we can refer to the colored paper. In addition, students with learning disabilities like dyslexia find it dramatically easier to read words printed on blue or pink paper. This also adds to the discussion in psychology on emotions and perceptions when we can discuss which emotions we tend to connect with certain colors and how those perceptions may or may not have led me to choose certain colors for certain topics.

Edith,
Very cool. I've found students soon learn to rely on success classroom strategies creative instructors come up with. They enjoy it because it achieves it's purpose, and students learn to expect the same outcomes each time a particular strategy or activity is used.

Barry Westling

Adding my two cents, I have started using brightly colored neon paper, (if the printer can handle it and their pens) for the students to write down technical procedures for an upcoming lab task. Once they are in the lab area I can quickly gauge which students are using them for support and which ones arent. I normally walk to students that dont have it in near them and question their progress. Ive been surprised that I find the ones that dont need it become self-sufficent in the tasks. The ones staring at the sheets with the confused look... Im there ASAP.

Juan,
Great visual cue to helping your students. Simple techniques such as you describe contribute more efficient and accurate class or lab sessions.

Barry Westling

I love this colored paper idea. Will definitely be trying it in the future.

Dorothy,
Well if student response is any indication, it'll be a rousing success!

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment