Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Appropriate responses to questions you do not know.

What are some good ways to answer students when you are not sure of the question?

I usually will ask the student to ask me the question again but this time also include an example. By asking in this fashion I hope that the example will enlighten the question.

I would ask the student to repeat the question or I may even repeat the question to be sure of what the student is asking.

I may also say, I am not sure of what you are asking.

That is a great response and what I do myself. I have students from many different cultures and parts of the world, we're a very diverse group. Sometimes the language spoke, tone and accent hinder me from hearing a question or understanding the full context of what they are asking. Having them repeat it or rephrase it followed by telling them I am not sure what they are asking seems to be the best approach and together we can figure out the question/answer.

I will often expose them to my thought process on solving the question. Especially when my class has a smart board with internet access, I will admit that I don't know, but show them that the important thing is understanding where to find the answer.

I respond similarly. Once I had a student ask a medical question that I had NO idea of. I asked her to research it, and I would as well, and we would compare notes at the next class. It worked really well... we both learned something new that we were then able to share with the rest of the class!

Cindy

I would be honest with the student. I will start a conversation with the student. I would let the student know that I didn’t understand the question. We would then talk about the issue until we both came to a meeting of the minds.

In fairness to the student or class, I would think that one must admit that they don't have the answer that the student is looking for.

I would use that as an opportunity to:
1. Engage the class in discussing possible answers to the question as a group.

2. Show the class how to utilize the resources necessary to find an answer to the question.

3. Find the answer to the question and explain the steps that were necessary in finding the appropriate answer.

I believe that as an instructor, you have to show the student that even though you may not have all the answers, you know how to find them.

I run into this a lot. I usually open the floor to discussions to get students involved. Then I'll quickly find my answer online as they are discussing stuff.

I ask them to look it up or we look it up together. Some times I don't say I don't know, but say that's a good question. Where might you find the answer to that if you where in your office working?

I am not so tricky or skillfull anyway. I just ask them to look it up with me. Or make it an assignment.

I respond by saying- I do not know- or I do not have experience in the matter.
And then ask if anyone in the class does and then allow them to share. I ask questions/ show interest. If no one has, if it is not pertanent to the course curriculum, I ask if someone would like to find out, and then get back to us when they know. I feel this also makes the student feel special/ apart of the class.
Jennifer

Hi Magda:
Great idea! Additionally, we can ask that student "do you mean......XYZ"? By doing so, it makes the student have to clarify their question.

Regards, Barry

Hi Adarian:
Something else that might work is saying to the student" are you asking.....XYZ?" This in turn makes them have to clarify what they are asking.

Regards, Barry

I do not know- or I do not have experience in the matter is the best response. simply saying you don't understand the question is a copout. Be honest and tell them you will help them find the answer.

Find the answer to the question and explain how to find the appropriate answer

Hi Ryan:
There are a couple of great approaches I've used over the years. One is to tell a student to research the answer and come back to class with their findings. Another is to suggest the questions may be outside the scope of the material, but to gently ask the student how they are connecting their question with the material being discussed.

Regards, Barry

Hi Cindy:

One technique that might also work well is to ask the student “do you mean…XYZ”? This forces the student to clarify their meaning, and may help to clear up what they really want to know.

Regards, Barry

Hi Theodore:

One technique that might also work well is to ask the student “do you mean…XYZ”? This forces the student to clarify their meaning, and may help to clear up what they really want to know.

Regards, Barry

Hi Donald:

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment