Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

colored paper

Using colored paper for handouts is a very practical but an effective method of making instructional materials easy to sort out by the students. It is a very good idea to use to break the "monotony" of the white paper. I will start using this.

Thanks for a very nice tip.

Hi Ferdinand:
A lot of teachers like this technique. If it works and students benefit by it, then I say go for it!

Regards, Barry

It has worked very well for me in the past but the reminder is appreciated. Studies have shown color, in general, is a very effective tool to increase retention by drawing atention to text so it's a double bonus with organizing AND enhancing learning.

The idea of colored paper seemed simple when I first read it, but then i thought about the first day of class and my syllabus.I will use colored paper from now on for my syllabus. I believe this will reinforce in the students that this is an important document.

Hi Kristi:
Color does add vaiety and calls attention. Simple but effective idea.

Regards, Barry

Hi Bertram:
Yeah, this simple idea is popular. Simple, but effective.

Regards, Barry

I know that when I have so many papers and they all look the same it can be difficult to focus on the them all at once. With the syllabus for example, there is very important and helpful information on it and it will be utilized better if the student knows where the specific colored paper is among their other important papers.
Great idea!

I agree. I just wish that we were able to print on colored paper. This is something I may ask the administration for.

Hi Laura:
That colored paper idea is populoar!

You know, you could use colored tabs or labels tha would print to stand out. Black prin is about the "color" that would really stand out.

Regards, Barry

Hi Lisa:
Yeah, this a popular item based on the responses in this forum. But anything that makes the learning experience a bit easier or more functional, that always a good thing.

Regards, Barry

Absolutely. I do this with every class. Each major paper or project is on its own color. The assignment description is on the front, and the grading rubric is on the back side. I make a few extra copies and leave them on a table in the room. That way, if the students lose them, it's very easy for them to check with a classmate ("What color sheet do I need?") and pick one up.

Another way colored paper is helpful is that I have them turn in the assignment with the grading rubric stapled to it. That helps ME keep the assignments organized, for when I grade them and pass them back!

Hi Althea:
This colored paer method seems to be very popular with teachers. I've used it some, certainly realize it's benefits. Sounds like you're getting a lot of mileage from it. That's great!

Regards, Barry

I also read, just the other day, a first-person recollection by a student who said that green and yellow paper (specifically) helped him to compensate for his dyslexia. Yet another benefit!

We have used the color paper for dyslexic students as well and it has been extremely effective.

Hi Stacey:
It's clear, students like color and variety. Might as well go with the flow!

Regards, Barry

I color code my entry/exit tickets based on Bloom's taxonomy and which level the question is testing my students on.

Hi Althea:
The magic of using all senses!

Regards, Barry

How would you suggest using color labels or tabs for class documents? We do not have a color photocopier to use for documents. When I have a small class, I can do things in color from my home printer but it becomes too costly to do this for large classes. I love using color on things as it really does make a difference.

Hi Kobie:
That's a fun use of using color to illustrate new concepts.
In general, we're talking about using mutliple strategies to encompass the other senses to make learning more effective.
Visual, audio, and kinesthetic methods are all great ways to do this.

Regards, Barry

Hi Laurie:
That's a unique challenge. If your institution doesn't provide everything you need, then the personal cost may prohibit you from entertaining this great strategy. The other idea, although time consuming is to purchase inexpensive colored paper and cut into the shapes you need, and attach it to each item you want to give to the students.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment