Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom prep

When preparing for a class one must not only have hand outs or training aids ready but also be ready for different learning styles. Relating to the students helps keeps the student interest by creating a bond of common ground to build trust for the student.

Hi Richard:
Yes, it's true that different learning styles can have an impact on the performance of the class if individual differences are not accounted for. Some instructors will do a "learning style inventory" to determine what style is dominant, then tailor their lessons to the different styles identified. Keeping thing personalized will really make a difference.

Regards, Barry

Not only should you prepare for class, but you should also have a backup plan in case your PowerPoint does not work. By doing this the students are guaranteed the benefit.

Hi Rory:
As the lesson explained, backup plans and lessons can be invaluable when you have to rely on them because of unplanned circumstances that interupt the day's itinerary. These plans don't have to reserved only for emergencies - they can be used whenever it's applicable to the lesson. In that event, you'll have to come up with something different to replace that back-up lesson.

Regards, Barry

I agree on the backup plan. Sometimes things go much more quickly than you expect; the students are really getting it much faster than you thought. Having that alternate plan can help a lot in that situation not only to fill extra class time, but to further reinforce the lesson.

Hi Cindy:
Well said. Sometimes the same material presented will take more or less time time with different groups, so we have to be prepared to provide applicable, useable information in thos instances when we get ahead of the schedule a bit.

Regards, Barry

I completely agree. I find that going over your class notes from the last class is also helpfull

Hi John:
Reviewing notes from the last class pror to the next is an excellent method to try to convert needed information from short term memory to long term memory.

Regards, Barry

Having a "Plan B" is important for classroom prep to be prepared for equipment failure, or training materials not delivered on time. However it is just as important to have some knowledge of each learners background to be able to present new concepts in a context that they will be able to relate to.

Hi Robert:
Yes, I agree. The more you know about your students the better able you'll be able to assist them whether it be for a back up plan when things don't go right, or even just in general for any class. That insight provides an avenue to be able to relate - as you say.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment