Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Gary:
I agree that many instructors can relate to your comment. I would suggest that you are being yourself, just a differt version of yourself - one that is being responsible and accountable to the students you've been assigned to teach.

Regards, Barry

Thanks Barry. There are so many different levels of talent,dedication,urgency and maturity that finding the right "me" takes on different meanings in different situations.
I am always accountable and responsible to the syllubi and the students, I get good reviews and students I've never had ask when I will be their instructor, so I must be doing something right!

Hi Gary:
Great reviews, especially from your future, potential students! Although this kind of encouragement is only a portion of a manifestation of you, it does convey a snapshop of how you are perceived by others. Of course, this is a twoway street. Suppose an instructor is known to be doing a good job by his/her peers and supervisors but receives less than wonderful reviews from students. How much weight or emphasis do you put on student comments in this situation?

I think in the end, there's probably always an element of some truth evident even in negative, mean-spirited student comments. In this instance, I think good communication and class expectations given at the beginning of the course will help offset some of the errant feelings or sentiments students may generate about and instructor.

Regards, Barry

I believe it is very important for instructors to be natural; attempting to fit a round peg into a square hole does not work very well and I agree with the comment regarding how fast the students will notice the false behavior therefore leading to mistrust and disrespect. There are various personalities within an individual instructor and we draw upon those personalities when it is necessary to get control of a class, to have the students understand the importance of the information being provided and to be able to laugh at oneself.

It works well to incorporate different teaching styles from other instructors to refresh my lectures; even teaching styles from instructors with a completely different personality than mine.

Hi Janet:
I agree - some of the best btechniques and self evaluation I've experienced was when I sat in my peer's classes. I don't think it even matters what the main topic area is, so many thu=ings are really transferable in any classroom setting.

Regards, Barry

Hi Janet:
If we are sincere and honest, ie, natural, students will at least be willinhg to give the teacher a chance. Our diversity and individuality is what makes us interesting. Keeping students interested is a challenging goal most all mthe time. We can use our uniquenes to our advantage.

Regards, Barry

You definitely have to be yourself when teaching. Students catch on quickly when you are trying to adopt a teaching style that doesn't fit your personality. In return, they feel uncomfortable in the class because they know that you are uncomfortable.

Hi Heather:
Sincerity never is out of style. Admittin mistakes, apologies when appropriate, and genuine caring for students- these traits will help just about any teacher be successful.

Regards, Barry

I always try to be myself...I will always admit when i make mistakes and don't dwell on it. The students usually laugh and then we all move on together.

Hello Steven;

I would have to agree 100% that no matter what you do in life, you should always be yourself. No one can really doubt you when your being yourself, because you are up front and people get what they see. Even though sometime people may not like you, but I'd rather be disliked for being myself then pretending to be something I'm not. As an instructor, students would respect you more for being yourself all the time, then trying to be someone else here and there.

I find that i enjoy the class more when im being myself.It makes the class more relaxed.

Hi Stephen:
Your students wll be more relaxed too, when you're relaxed. Just being our natural selves, prepared and willing to teach with sincerity, honesty, and respect for the student, coupled with common courtesies extended to students and teacher will make for a great learning environment.

Regards, Barry

Hi Gordon:
Our natural, genuine self and persona will create more trust than an artificial version of someone we're not. Student expect honesty at all times from their instructor.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment