Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

try to have a fresh attitude daily

when teaching the same subject or course on a continuous schedule it is neccessay to come with a fresh approach.

Hi Norm:

Attitude is certainly important as it reflects the instructors enthusiasm and interest in the subject matter.

Along with attitude should be an attempt to make sure the student knows what the daily lesson and topic outline consists of. The more prepared the student is the better they're likely top perform in their class.

Regards, Barry

i totally agree with you Barry. i've known instructors to come in to their classrooms with a not so great attitude. Students feel the negative vibes and act the same way.
if you have a enthusiastic approach or even have a positive approach the classroom environment will be a bit more pleasant.
Dr. Bindu

Hi Bindu:

Thanks, and you're right. We're looking to augment learning and bring some variety to the class. If that doesn't happen, I think the experience is much less valuable.

Regards, Barry

Hi Barry,
A fresh daily attitude is important since it can display to the students the instructor's teaching versatility. It adds character. It is a constant "make-over", with the occasional on-stage theatrical performance by the instructor, to remove boredom and generate interest.

Gilbert A Bodley

Hi Gilbert:
You're right, Gilbert. I've often thought that one of the most important but more difficult tasks as an instructor is sustaining a positive, winning approach to the lesson and course, day in and day out.

I think most instructors have experienced days where they they don't feel up to it. Of course, asute students will pick up on that right away. But isn't it fulfilling when you have students doing their work, eager to learn, motivated and interested!

Regards, Barry

I try to start the day with a smile and keep the class fun and upbeat while getting everyone partisipating.This is hard at times because of different personalities and backgrounds but I find if I keep at it everyone is learning in the end.

if you are in a good mood this will rub off on the students as well.it sets the day off in the right direction

I believe that Norm's statement is more centered around an instructor's self preservation tactic. Changing your approach from time to time is very good way to break up the monotony of a single course plan, especialy if the course's time line is short. This helps the instructor to stay fresh, energized, and enthusiastic about the course.
RW

Hi Ron:
You've touced on important attributes - "fresh", "energized", and "enthusiastic". Boy, if every teacher brought these attributes to the class every instructional session, the student performance is bound to improve simply by virtue of the charismatic nature of the instructors attitude.

To do this consistently really takes work and preparation. Wouldn't it be great if every instructor committed to these terrfic ideals?

Good post.
Regards, Barry

Thanks Barry,

Yes, the world of learning would be a much better place with ideal in place.
RW

I firmly believe as educators, we must continue our own education so as to always bring something new to the classroom.

I agree. When you are teaching the same subject over and over again, you need to make it interesting for everybody. You can talk about the same lesson but with a different aproach. Make it fun for you and your students.

It is amazing how each class has their own personality, so different from the previous class. It makes it interesting for me though, because although I may be delivering the same material, I respond to each class differently. Since mine is a discussion class, I enjoy hearing the diverse perspectives of our studnet body.

on the days you dont "feel up to it" what are some ways to get into the proper mind set. home problems come up some times and i dont want to take that attitude to class, so some times i start work early and read a trade mag. do you have any other suggestions?

Hi Joseph:
One way to get psyched-up for a class is to talk to a really motivated student and asking them what they're looking forward to as a graduate or why they chose this profession, or what they like best about the class.

If you asked a responsible student what they thought needed to be improved on in the class, I bet that their response might make you reflect and urge you to "get in to it" a bit more in order to prove to the student the class is good.

At times, I have thought of what I do or say if the class was filled with my family members. Thinking of it like that usually gives me a different perspective on how to approach the class.

Regards, Barry

I agree if the Instructor enters the classroom with a positive attitude and fresh approach on a daily basis, it will have an effect on the students.

Hi Shawn:
Sure! Students are naturally influenced by their teachers' manner and demeanor, and contributes to either a positive or less than positive feeling by the students. We can control it just by being aware.

Regards, Barry

Having a fresh attitude is important because we have to remember that although the subject material may me repetitive to us as instructors, it is the first and probably only time that the material will be presented to the students. So if you look at it from that perspective you can use the new students to help you in turn have a new perspective

Hi Stephen:
Yeah, there's nothing like the curiosity and facination brought into the classroom by fresh new students. You're right, to them, it's all new nad hopefully interesting. You can also set the tone for the class by bringing your own brightness and enthusiam to every class.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment