Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Norm
I most often greet my students with a big smile whatever the circumstances. I also give my students a word of the day. Like "stay focused",
" believe", This too shall pass" " To learn, you must love discilpine: it is stupid to hate correction". We go through out the day reflecting on the word of the day ,helping us with different issues that arise during class time and it helps to keep a good attitude. The students look forward to this new word every day. This certainly gives a fresh approach daily.

Kimberly

Hi Kimberely:
These sentiments were inspiring to me. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Barry

Hi Barry
My class resumes on Jan.4. The word for the day will be "Persevere"

Hi Kimberly:
Terrific! - Barry

I try to have an infectously good atttitude when i start class, it sets the tone for students and puts them at ease to focus.

Hi Kodee:
Great way to start off class. Reasons why some teachers don't is they arn't prepared so their day is fraught with making copies, gathering materials or resources - generally kind of hectic.

If I were a student I might have a question before class but might feel like I was imposing on the teacher. Preparation and organization are keys to managing time and providing outstanding instruction.

Treating all students with respect, courtesy, and being honest, sincere, and professional in our interactions will tend to produce the same behavior in students. So that compliments your comment about starting the day with an infectiously good attitude.

Regards, Barry

One of my class rules is that the students must check their attitude at the door. This also applies to me. It doesn't matter how bad the drive in was or whether or not I had an argument with my wife or daughters that day. No matter what has happened it is not the fault of the other class participants.

My mother-in-law was a legal secretary for her entire career and once she was asked by a client why she seemed to be in a good mood every day. Her reply was "From 9 to 5 everyday, I am fine."

Attitude affects your ability to teach and your student's ability to learn so no matter what, I project (or try to project) a good mood/attitude from the beginning of class. Even if I have had a bad day, I find that the rule of "fake it 'til you make it" works, and pretty quickly.

Research has shown that even in the event of something unpleasant happening that sets off a bad reaction (which can be characterized by release of certain biochemical components) the physiological manefestations of that response only last 90 seconds. After that it becomes an issue of choice to continue the response. If we understand that phenomenon we can always control our responses to stimuli and adjust our behavior.

The instructor, as the authority figure in the classroom, sets the tone.

Barry~
The anxiety of rushing often makes me oblivious to my attitude when starting class; it feels like I'm running to catch up from start to finish. Organization and planning are critical components to instructional and learning success. Instead of focusing on what comes next, appropriate planning enables me to hone in on students' needs and enjoy the teaching and learning process.

Hi Michael:
Great points here - to paraphrase, it becomes a matter of choice. Furthermore, we must be conscious of the fact that we are letting personal matters invade our atmosphere, and take control over that choice as soon as we notice this.

Regards, Barry

Sometimes (with the students permission) an issue can be brought to the class and role played in the work environment so they see that answers can be found in many areas.

This is so true, having a new group of students with their new individual personalities provides the instructor with motivation to keep the material fresh.

Janis,
Yes, being ready with a daily attitude that projects enthusiasm, interest, and is lively will energize the classroom setting and help keep students motivated. As is the structor, so will be the students.

Barry Westling

We have our personal lives outside of be instructors of many students and I feel the importance of leaving our personal lives away from our teaching careers and give our students everything we have to offer them to encourage and teach all things available for their future in their career choices.

William,
I agree. For me, the only kind of personal backdrop I provide are stories or situations I've experienced in the workplace, and these are mostly directly related to the professional career. I also give a brief biography of myself and my staff during orientation. But my relationship with students is as their instructor and my personal life is not their business nor is it appropriate to discuss personal matters.

Barry Westling

I agree. Each day is different, each class is different and as instructors (and individuals) our lives are consistently changing. A fresh approach can motivate the instructor and the students.

It can help you to realize that today is not yesterday (our last week), so let's approach it as such. It can also help you to be more adaptable to change.

I enjoyed reading this forum/topic.

Wenda,
It takes no extra effort to portray a positive, upbeat climate, and I think students welcome it, even if they don't necessarily ever say so verbally. It's contagious, and students will work and study better in this setting, and tend to emulate the same.

Barry Westling

Students need encouragement and a learning environment they enjoy. A fresh attitude can encourage students to ask questions. In a world of problems and worries, a classroom should be a safe learning environment (that encourages questions, incorrect answers, mistakes and allow room for growth; so that effective learning can occur).

I concur, attitudes can be contagious. So as instructors let's have the attitude we want our students to display.

Wenda,
For me, it's so easy to determine to be upbeat and positive, and I refuse to let students, their circumstances, behaviors or attitudes distract me from my personal commitment. I want to create an "upward spiral" for students to ascend to.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment