Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

who I am

If you know the subject, and know it well you should have no problem.

Hi Stu:

Hey, did you ever have a teacher you felt they new their stuff real well, but they just couldn't seem to get it across to the class?

I think thios happens a lot in technical education, where ther is a professiobnal or technical expertise that is required. The teacher is an excellent provider of whatever that service is, but in terms of passing on their knowledge to the student, that's a whole other story.

So, I think it takes more than just knowing the subject matter. One has to be able to effectively transfer that knowledge to the students. And I would maintain that it's not an automatic kind of skill, based soley on content knowledge.

Think about it. I'll use nursing. You could have a great nurse at the bedside. But in the classroom, she's a flop. Teaching really takes time to perfect.

Best wishes to you - Barry

Yes knowing the material is only half the problem. having the class well informed and knowing your professional back ground and your real world expierence gives them a sense of confidence about you and your abilities.

Hi Anthony:
Yes, it does reinforce your abilities. If done in a tactctful and humble manner, an instructor can also convey caring, compassion, and openess to relating to adlt learners on equal footing.

Regards, Barry

I agree with this Barry and would like to add that a knowledge of the information does not automatically come with the abilty to pass it on to the different interprutations the students may have of it. This can be a real challenge. I have to stop sometimes and try to understand why a student has not received the information from me!

Hi Duvall:
You're right. I say white, the student hears black. Where is the disconnect. Often it lies in the students frame of reference, backgroud, upbringing, learning history, and probably a hundred other factors. One way to help with this is to have students repeat what you've said in their own word to see if they have grasped the idea.

I'm amazed at soemething I call "student speak". I'll try this, then that, then the other, and still the student doesn't get it. Then, their student neighbor will lean over and say "he's saying such and and such, and the student says "oh, now I get it". Ay-yi-yi! thats the same thing I was teaching for the past 20 minutes! But the students connected - apparently I wasn't. Perspective is an important attribute to understand.

Regards, Barry

I have trained many people on a one on one bases for almost 30 years I think that helped me to move to the class room. I have had to use many different ways to convey the process to each man as the need arose. Now I use those same ideas when in the class room. I realize too that I still have much to learn about teaching.

I feel that it is very important to know the subject inside and out before you can instruct. But sometimes instructors know the material/ trade so well, we forget to remember all the information is new to students. I have to catch myself sometimes because I speak a trade "language" that lose the student right from the start. I have put together a list of terms used in the trade and I seem to add to it (better yet... I give the list to the student and have THEM add to it throughout the term).
And I also try to remember... learning styles are like finger prints. No two persons are exactly alike.

Hi Kristi:

One idea when selecting course material and media is to try employ as many teaching styles as we can in order to address as many learning styles as possible. Selecting material and presenting it in a visual, audio, and kinesthetic way is generally considered the most efficient method of delivery.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment