Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

knowing yourself

Knowing who you are and where your going will help motivate the students to want to learn from you

Hi Troy:

I think you've touched on a very important tenet of facilitating instruction. If you can motivate students to want to learn, you're halfway to achieving effective outcomes.

Good comment!

Regards, Barry

i agree. i let them know of my experience to assure them i will be able to train them properly.

Hi Stephen:

Yes, motivated students do make a difference.

That said, we have to remember that a solid curriculum basaed on specfic student learning objectives will be necessary for true effective learning. Motivation alone cannot assure that.

But when both are present the setting for achievable results is very likely.

Regards, Barry

I agree with Stephen you have to be confudent in yourself and you have to know the materal you are teaching or the students well pick up on it right away, and it well, which well lead to a very rough session.

Hi Greg:

You are so correct. Students expect their instructors to be knowlegeable and confident in the material they're teaching. This attribute also reinforces the students confidence and perhaps, even their successfulness in the course.

Regards, Barry

Something else that I would like to add. Students don't expect you to know everything on a given subject. They do however usually know if you are trying to fake it. If you are genuine and say "I don't know but I can find out and get back to you." They respect you for not lying about it. I have heard instructors try to fake or bull their way through something and create lots of problems down the road. Let's face it. We will never know everything there is to know. If you feel you do, I have some property south of Florida that's real nice and real cheap. The students expect that you won't know it all and usually have no respect for the instructors who do know it all. I think we do need to have as much knowledge as possible in what we are teaching with some added humility.

Hi Mark:
Yes, there's a lot of truth in your sentiment. If students lose trust in their instructors, or don't possess it to start with, that instructor is going to operating with a great deficit.

Part of the ability to effective facilitate classes in based on the (perceived) knowledge students expect the instructor to have. Good instructors are honest and gain trust by exhibiting that attribute. Students appreciate honesty. That honesty can also contribute to relationship building between the instructor and his/her students. Good point!

Regards, Barry

I TO BELIEVE THAT ONCE YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU ARE CAPABLE OF DOING AND SHARING WILL DEFINATELY HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON YOUR STUDENTS

Hi Wilma:
Good instructors will reveal the strengths of who they are in terms of their relationship to their students: class preparation, taking a sincere interest, be willing to do a little extra in helping weaker students, and of course being courteous and humble. Those kinds of attributes will have a positive impact on students.

Of course, there are the specific technical expertise that has to be there as well. That material is in the book and can be read. Relating takes more effort and willingness.

Regards, Barry

Hi Mark,

I agree that it pays to be honest with your knowledge. When I don't know something, I have no problem asking another instructor to come in and do a guest lecture. I am a traditional artist, so technology is sometimes a struggle for me. To help myself, I will sit in other course, and work on the side with other instructors to help improve my knowledge and understanding of the technical information.

I would add that knowing who you are in regard to your ability in your chosen field is an important part of reaching the students. Knowing and illustrating this to the students is a cricial part of establishing your role as the subject expert.

Hi Andrea:
Yeah, you're right. And students do pick up on how we are as teachers and professionals in our chosen fields. The students want to feel like their teacher knows what they're talking about and is in charge of the class.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment