Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

type of instructor

I want to be proud of the influence I've instored in the student if he is a success then I did what was right Every time a student graduates from our school he takes our reputation with him

Hi Cecil:

Thank you - you've cited an inspiring thought.

It is true students are a reflection of the instructors influence: character, principles, knowledge, motivation and attitude.

Unfortunately there are many instructors that are not able or willing to make adaptations or modify their instructional strategies to accomodate the diverse populations they serve. Therefore, the desirable attributes may not be attained.

It is only when change is truly desired by the instructor that change will occur. I've always felt that the contribution I've made to the students learning was a kind of feeding, and that motivated me to try my best, always.

Regards, Barry

instructors are a strange breed of people that want to teach or have been in the field for yearsand want to move on but cannot let go. what better way to move on and use the many years of experience for such a noble cause. I feel that every student that leaves my class takes a littlebit of me with them to help purpetuate an industry that has given me a good living, fun,excitement and chance to meet some good and interesting people. hopefully all that i have learned and passed on will help them achieve all thier dreams and goals in life.

Hi Larry:
You have a great outlook about teaching and your contributions to your students. Too bad we couldn't put some of that enthusiasm in a can and sell it. We'd be rich!

Regards, Barry

I have always believed that the statement "When the student is ready the teacher will appear" but for me "when the teacher is ready the student will appear" is more appropriate. I never have a class in which I am not in some way the student. My students have all come to me to be my teacher in one way or another. I strive to be true to myself in each class and follow my intuition (even though sometimes it is not what I have planned). I believe my task is to prepare and then let go of the outcome. It is then that we all experience the greatest lessons.
I also use my coaching training to be an effective listener and to know when to ask a question in order to inspire the student to dig deeper. All in all it is a lot of fun!

Hi Teri:
A lot of good thoughts and experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Regards, Barry

That's good! I've had new teachers who go right in with enthusiasm and engage the students and do a great job. Then there are others who are warm bodies. Students need to see your love of subject and they will respond!

Hi Chistine:
There's nothing more refreshing than being in the atmosphere of a competent instructor who 's nature is enthusiastic, interesting, and inspiring. How enjoyable and what a improvement in learning potential resides in that environment.

Regards, Barry

Calm is strength. A teacher staying calm is the biggest factor in having a class that has low drama.

Hi John:
I think students appreciate when a teacher commands controls of a class. I don't mean demanding or overbearing, but regular daily demeanor that suggests they're in control.

Sometimes it takes some steering to guide students back on track. That's to be expected. Good instructores keep control, and reengage students when they needto get back on track.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment