Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Testing and grading

I find that if I grade the test right away and revew that day the student gets more out of the test to see were thay went wrong.

David,
I agree, and also often clarification can occur on the spot so that mistakes are minimized and the correct information is reinforced. Students want (and need) feedback in order to make adjustments or know where more emphasis in their study is needed. Review and sharing of performance is as important as the course instruction.

Barry Westling

Review the day before a test also helps students be better prepared for the exam and does better on the test.

Valerie,
Right. Most students appreciate having a preview and guide to some of the topics that may be covered for a test. I have developed mastery questions that a student will find on every test. These are information I feel a student must absolutely know.

Barry Westling

This is the same thing we do. The test is given on a scantron. While the students are on break, I use the scantron reader, score the test, then return it after the break. The student sees his/her score, initials it, and returns it to me so I can record the score. Then the test is discussed.

Patricia,
It's important to get the test information back to the students ASAP. It would seem unreasonable to begin to cover new material before students have had a chance to review past performance. Otherwise, may of the same mistakes may be made, or the student's level of understanding may not be as great.

Barry Westling

Sign In to comment