Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Testing who?

I have found that testing the students is not only necessary to understand what they have learned but during my early days I noticed that if I missed or didn't cover a segment properly, the majority of the class would miss answer that particular question. Now when I teach a new class subject I pay close attention to any answers that are missed by the students. This lets me know I need to reevaluate my presentation.

Hi Michael:
You're following a great model. Using student feedback is a great method to determine how effective you've been in delivering your lesson material.

Regards, Barry

i'm looking for am large percentage of students
missing a particular question.
then concentrating on how to present the infomation in a better manner,
so the question can be answered correctly

Hi James:
This is great idea! It's always good when you can use a testing instrument as a learning tool.

Some instructors find pre-testing an effective method of sizing up where their students strengths and areas needing improvement lie. Then, they focus the emphasis of the lesson on the weaker areas.

Regards, Barry

I find that to be very true. When a percentage of students all miss in the same area, then I know I need to re-present that information, maybe altering the method of presentation to ensure better understanding.

Hi Cindy:
Although it's time consuming and a little extra work, pretesting can define where you want to emphasize (and what needs emphasizing) to assure your students are getting the needed material.

Regards, Barry

Yes. When the situation comes that a large group of students miss a certain question or group of questions on a particular learning, I would deffinately elaborate on it. This is only when I feel the percentage is 90 + percent of the class because one would have to ask how, why were the others able to get it. In most cases the class is made up of students from different prior classes and possibly and most probably a different learning method pertaining to the missed question [s] in concern.

Hi Keith:
There are many ways of achieving an adequate of assessment of learning outcomes. When there are many "misses", an examination of why is in order. Sometimes students can tell you directly or indirectly the reason. Sometimes you may have to just spend more time on the missed material.

Regards, Barry

I have also noticed not only do you have to reevaluate the way you presented the material(in reference to commonly missed test questions) but you also need to take notice to the time frame in which you presented that material. If those commonly missed questions refered to material that was in the very beginning of your course of study it is a good idea to revisit that info before test time. This works as a refresher to most students.

Hi Benden:
Great point. Some teachers will review all the essential study areas prior to a test. I don't mean give answers. I mean broad topic areas that you want them to study to prove they know the material.

Regards, Barry

I agree, testing shows how well the student learned , and how well the teacher covered the material.Every instructor/teacher should be interested in the results and use them to determine what needs improvement. Maybe the students study habits or the delivery of the material. Remember, testing is assesing what the students know.

Hi Alphia:
Yes, and assessments come in all shapes and sizes. We all want our students to test well. But I don't think anyone would welcome "good grades from all students" on a assessment test that was poorly written, inaccurate, too simple, or didn't measure student knowledge.

So whatever method is used, it needs to be right sized with the student group taking the test.

Regards, Barry

Sign In to comment