Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Day One... Expectations

Class begins with a greeting. I introduce myself and provide a brief biography. I then ask each of the student to introduce themselves. I like to know where they're from and what program they are taking. After the introductions are over everyone is a bit more at ease. I then begin to explain the expectations in the class. this falls into 2 catagories. The first being expected professional behavior. The second being what is expected of their technical skill to pass the class. Setting the expectations on day one establishes the appropriate tone for the remainder of the class.

Daily Planning

Planning and preperation are paramount to the success of any class. From the first day to the last taking time before each class to set up a tenative schedule for that day is a priceless key to success in the classroom. If you are prepared, you present an air of confidence to your students. This creates a trust and secure feeling in the information that you are presenting. When a learner trusts the presentation and the presenter they become more engaged. This engagement leads to a more complete understanding of the information being presented.

First time instructor

I will be taking over the class of an instructor that the students have grown very fond of and are sad to see her leave. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how help them transition from an instructor they really liked to a me, a first time instructor?

Learning styles

I know it is better for me to learn by doing, but I always need to keep in mind that it isn't always the best way for my students to learn. In the end, that is what they do, but initially some need more demonstration than others.

Attitudes are infectious

The first day of class is the ideal time to remember that most class attitudes are a direct reflection of your attitude. I have seen many times over where class control issues evolved from an instructors mistake of not taking control and showing the class that they are in charge but not unapproachable. If you love what you do, show it.

Instructing Course Material

Planning and experience are some of the pieces which fit together to create a successful instructional session. By varying the delivery of the course materials and the way in which the students are to learn and acquire new knowledge and skills, promotes a greater mastery by the students.

Classroom appearance as a plus in learning

I teach at a large technical school, and the instructors are encouraged to dress-up the classrooms. My students are happy as long as they aren't bored, so I try to keep them entertained during lecture. My course is Advanced Diagnostic Systems, and we have two large cans hanging from the ceiling about 8 ft. apart. They are connected by a string which has a sign attached "CAN NETWORKING". We do cover controller area networks, and the students get a laugh when they notice it.I also use posters that relate to the automotive industry to brighten up the room. Doug Ramsey Instructor UTI, Avondale

Creating lesson plans

Would it suffice to ask the students to turn in cards with a few things they would REALLY like to learn and perhaps devote a class to those topics? Many times interest is lost due to the student thinking they are not appreciated as a learner and not listened to. It seems encouraging for the student if the instructor was willing to spend time on 'their' topic of interest as long as it pertained to the course. Besides, it would be an interesting way to poll the class and see if maybe there is one topic that comes up often.

clinical courses

I will be doing clinical rotation for LVN to RN students. I am considering asking the students to list their goals towards becoming an RN. Any thoughts

Time is precious

I have found it difficult to surmise the lenght of time diffrant classes can be focused on the first day. However after careful observation I can plan my presentation much better after day one. I do however teach a 15 day modgule and time is fleeting when it comes to developing and recongnising problem students.

Cohort groops

My experance with this groop has been both good and bad, the ability to bolster and pass along lesson understanding in a mannor thats far below my age groop has been exciteing to say the least, However I have occasionaly seen the down side as well. Those who are what I call the bad boy leaders, those who try and push the limits as far as possiable. I find this last groop to be very frustrating in the least. I follow my companys regulations and often have found myself having to defend my position. All very frustrating!

use of current events for interest in lecture

Now that I will be a new instructor, I plan to utilize related current events in my lectures/discussions. For example, I will be teaching nursing students. I will try to find current nursing news in the local newspaper, nursing magazines, etc. I will bring in the article and then try to relate it to the nursing topics I am lecturing. I recall previous professors doing this in my classes and it makes it interesting and easier to remember the lesson when you link it to a current story or event.

Powerpoint

Sometimes i get better results by discussing the chapter, then using the powerpoint to reinforce the discussions.

Talking during lecture

Rules say none, but if done right i think students can sometimes help eachother understand and teach eachother.

1st Day

The first day and meeting go along way to setting the pace of the course. Utilizing the first two hours of class for introductions and overviewing the course content provides the opportunities for both the students and instructor.

Teaching environment

Section 2 covered the importance of the teaching environment as part of the delivery of instruction. I will be instructiing in a hospital setting (new nursing students in clincal rotations). I know the hoospital can be a place of anxiety especially for brand new nursing students. Any suggestions on how I can make the enviroment less intimidating for them? I will definately orirrnt them to the layout of the facility and introduce them to staff, etc. Any other ideas?

Adjusting Delivery to Match learning style

How does one approach a diverse class of many learning styles to achieve a successful delivery and reception of information? Should we divide in blocks of time addressing each individual style or do some styles blend allowing for a more reasonable time frame?

Student attention spam?

As an instructor I feet that it is much easier to keep the students focused, but what happens when the instructor get distracted? Are there any techniques that teach teacher how to regain their focus once there is a distraction?

Methods of Keeping Focused on the lesson topic

I am being given the opportunity to do a short presenation for students who desire to become teaching assistants. The short presentation is to be about methods of any presentor / instructor staying on subject. I welcome any short personal experiences either good or the less than desired to be avoided. I will omit your name if I am able to fit your example into my presentation. Any ideas welcomed up to this Friday morning. My presentation will be this Friday at 9:00 a.m. California time. Thanks!

New kid on the block.

I am a new instructor, and I have taken over for another teacher that has recently gone to on-call. My first day with the students was a little scarey. I had to let the students know that these were my exceptations of them not there former teachers. Are there any others things that I can do to create a more "I am the teacher now" environment without being iron fisted?